Wellness > Sex + Relationships

Christian Dating: How To Keep Faith At the Forefront of your relationship

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCLA chapter.

Contrary to popular belief, Christian dating is much more meaningful than a girl going to church and setting her sights on the guy that can carry the most chairs to Bible study. Well, to be fair, that does happen sometimes, but that’s not the standard experience for most faith-based relationships.  

Explorations into religious couples’ lives have recently gained traction on social media, as Christian influencers offer sage words of wisdom to their followers about finding love and maintaining faith at the forefront of relationships. If you are a Christian who wants to start dating devoutly too, turn toward biblical verses and lessons meant to encourage those on the lookout for love — you shall quickly find your way forward in all matters of the heart if you open yourself up to the glory and grace of God’s word.     

“Jenny Brallier | Christian Lifestyle” from @jenbrallier

Before looking at advice for committed couples in Christ, the girls half-heartedly stumbling through the dating world may want to hear how to find “the one” without time-consuming heartache. Though I’d love to divulge a full-proof system for finding soulmates, the harsh truth is…you cannot force a relationship because true love happens when God is ready for it to happen. Let faith lead you to your happily ever after, and in the meantime? Don’t stress, He’s with you every step of the way. He wants you to be loved, He wants you to be happy, so be patient and know that He’s working (even when you can’t see it!). 

Once you’ve found your person, prioritize crafting a faith-based relationship by keeping in mind God’s word. For example, 2 Timothy 2:22 encourages us, “So flee youthful passions and pursue righteousness, faith, love, and peace, along with those who call on the Lord from a pure heart.” Respecting God’s will means respecting your body, and a prominent practice in Christianity rests upon denying your “youthful passions” by partaking in abstinence until marriage. Committing to an abstinent lifestyle is entirely up to you, but I know that my personal decision to wait has given me a sense of closeness with my faith that grows each year. A true man of God will support your choices and respect all boundaries, thus you’ll often notice that this is the key to many Christian couples’ success stories. 

Another insight into the world of Christian dating refers to handling arguments in a godly way, as couples may refer to Ecclesiastes 4:9, “Two are better than one, because they have a good reward for their toil,” or even 1 Peter 4:8, “Above all, keep loving one another earnestly, since love covers a multitude of sins.” In any disagreement or fight, remember that God brought you two together as a united front — this is you against the problem, not each other. Treat your S.O. with respect, love and kindness because they were a gift sent from Heaven, and you wouldn’t want to appear ungrateful for any of your God-given blessings, right?  

In addition to proper communication and trusting in His word, smaller habits to start incorporating into your romances could be going to church together, joining a Bible study (so your S.O. can show off how many chairs they can carry at once) and most importantly, spreading God’s love, light and word everywhere you go.  

Coming from someone who’s single, I understand the struggle of wanting to have a God-fearing man by my side with whom I could entertain these faith-based practices. Still, the best things come to those who wait, and I’m waiting until God is ready to reveal the identity of my forever person. Not every relationship is going to work out and sometimes you’re going to get discouraged; thus, I extend some cardinal advice stolen from venting sessions with my loving mother. You are the daughter of a King, so straighten your crown and never settle for being treated as anything less than the princess you are. 

Grace LaPlante is currently a senior English major at UCLA—she’s a literature lover, music enthusiast and sports fanatic with dreams of traveling the world someday!