Campus Celebrity: Youmun Alhlou

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCLA chapter.

Youmun Alhlou is a superwoman. Even with a rigorous academic schedule, she manages to join and run several organizations that help make this world a better place, all while having some fun along the way. She’s been one of my clostest friends since I was five years old and has been inspiring me ever since. She took some time out of her busy schedule just to sit down and tell us a little bit about what she does at UCLA. 

1. What is your major and year? 

I’m a third year, international development studies major. 

2. What organizations are you a part of on campus?

For the past three years I have been a part of USAC, through the internal Vice Presidents office, the academic affairs commission and currently the general representative office working on social justice issues. Also since my freshman year, I have been a part of the Kappa Delta sorority, where I’ve made great friendships and memories with my sisters. I am also on my third year in Swipes for the Homeless, currently working as the outreach director. I am also on board for the United Arab Society, currently working towards planning our culture show that is happening in the beginning of May. Also, in order to complete my Civic Engagement minor I have been interning at the Democracy Council, working with different organizations to ensure a democratic process in Syria. And in order to help my parents financially I have been working at the Hilltop Shop on campus as a customer service supervisor. 

3. What made you choose UCLA when you were deciding schools?

As a high school senior from the bay, I always wanted to get away and branch out of my hometown and I found that at UCLA. Not only was it far enough, but it was everything in a school I wanted. I visited only once, but I instantly felt the connection and spirit of all the rest of the bruins on campus, making me realize I would love it too. 

4. If you had to choose one favorite memory at UCLA what would it be?

Pinpointing one favorite memory at UCLA may actually be the hardest thing, there are far too many. But one favorite thing about UCLA of mine is just walking through campus. Almost every day I have the privilege of walking by beautiful buildings such as Royce and Powell and I can’t help myself but stop and take a picture everyday.

5. Where do you see yourself in 5 years?

In 5 years I hope to have successfully finished 2 years in the Peace Corps, hopefully somewhere in the Middle East. And after that to have been accepted and enrolled at Georgetown University studying to become a public defender to help juveniles. And hopefully have found some great travel spots all around the world.

6. What’s your favorite spot on campus and why?

Kerchkoff has to be my favorite spot on campus. I get to see all my friends, get amazing ice cream from the Baskin Robbins and have a beautiful rooftop view of UCLA. 

7. If you could do one thing over in your past 3 years of college what would it be?

One thing I would do over in college would be to just be in college again and maybe enjoy LA a little more. I would want to start everything over and do everything I wasn’t able to do. I have absolutely no regrets, but if I did it again I know that I would enjoy the fact that I was in an amazing city and make sure to try to escape the little Westwood bubble we all love and live in. 

Her Campus at UCLA is a proud Elite Level Chapter in the Her Campus. Our team consists of talented writers, content creators, photographers, designers, event planners and more! Follow us @HerCampusUCLA and check out HerCampus.com/school/UCLA for more articles! Feel free to contact us at hc.ucla@hercampus.com for any questions.