Campus Celebrity: India Carney

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCLA chapter.

By Kelly Ho 

Name: India Carney
Year: 3rd year
Major: Voice Performance
Hometown: Brooklyn, New York

If you were at Spring Sing 2013, you probably heard India’s amazing vocals when she performed her original composition, “You Didn’t Care”. With many honors and accolades under her belt, India is a talented performer of all types of genres: including jazz, opera, gospel and Music Theater. She tells us about her favorite stage moments, current music obsessions, future plans— and what she looks for in a guy. 

1) What’s your favorite memory at UCLA so far?
Definitely Spring Sing 2013!
I have many favorite memories at UCLA, but the memory of making it into Spring Sing 2013 with my band when I was a sophomore stands out the most! It was one of the most exciting experiences I have ever had and I was so humbled by it. I am very thankful to the selection committee, my band and my friends and family for being there to share it with me!

2) How supportive do you feel the UCLA community is of your singing?
Super supportive! 
The UCLA community has been supportive of me and my singing ever since I stepped foot on the campus. During my first year, I entered into the first ever JazzReggae Battle of the Bands competition and won! The producers of the 26th Annual JazzReggae Festival chose my band and I based on our qualifications, amount of Facebook likes on our video, and attendance at the original performance. The competition was basically determined in part by our peers and liking our video audition on Facebook. I have been asked to perform in many shows around campus since my Freshman year. I have contributed in support of the important causes for student run organizations like Phi Kappa Pi, Chi Alpha’s Carnival, Bruin Day World Fest, Echochella, China Care Bruins, The New Pauley Pavilion, UCLA Athletics, SANAA, CAC, Office of Residential Life and many more. I am always excited to be able to give back in this special way. I thank the UCLA community for the love and unconditional support of my music, and I hope that UCLA will continue to support me in the future! 

3) What music are you listening to right now?
John Mayer and Allen Stone which I love!

4) Name one memorable on-stage moment you’ve experienced.
So I walk out on the Spring Sing stage in Pauley and the crowd is just cheering nonstop after the host announces my name. Spring Sing performances can be very nerve-wracking since you’re on this huge stage trying to work the entire space. I could almost feel the ten thousand peers critiquing my every move, and because of all of this, my adrenaline level shot up to the highest height. I will never forget this moment though: I remember as I ended the song, someone from the audience screamed out in the darkness “India WE Love You!” At that point I just felt so happy about everything. The best part of it all too was that my parents flew in from NY to be there to see the show. That was the icing on the cake!

5) What do you miss about your New York home?
I miss being able to experience the four seasons. I am in no way saying that LA weather is boring. It’s actually the most beautiful weather I’ve lived in, especially in the Fall. But I miss the snow and the predictable rainstorms. I say predictable because you’re barely warned when it rains in LA. I also miss how fast-paced people are back home. Most of all, I really miss jay walking and I don’t get why that’s not a thing in Los Angeles!

6) Where do you see yourself five years from now?
I see myself handling more responsibility than I have today as a singer, songwriter and actress. Currently, I am working on producing my first EP “Heartbroken” for release soon, so I also see myself releasing more albums in five years, and at the same time doing working on Broadway. Once my career is underway, I see myself giving back to the communities that helped nurture me. Personally, I see myself healthy, happy and progressing in my career. Maybe in five years we can talk again and see how much of it I’ve accomplished? LOL.

7) What are the top 3 qualities you look for in a guy?
I could give you an endless, very specific list of qualities that I look for, but I guess the more important are: Humor, Consistency, Strength.

UCLA '15 Major: Psychobiology Hometown: San Jose