This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCLA chapter.

Now that January is fading into February, New Year’s resolutions often get forgotten in notebook pages and Pinterest boards. However, this doesn’t mean that your goals are completely scribbled out. Whether that’s becoming the gym “it” girl, or consistently pulling out a journal, the key to accomplishing your goals is to break them down, and add a touch of fun. Here is a list of bite-sized ways to feel great in the New Year amidst your packed Google calendar:

Hydrate

Whatever you’re doing right now, go grab a glass of water! The benefits of being hydrated are endless, from natural pimple patches to feeling a boost of energy. In order to stay hydrated I made a Target run to grab a water bottle and a giant packet of liquid IV. I’ve noticed that by stirring in a hint of strawberry or lime I’ve consumed gallons of water within the last week. In addition, adding my water bottle to the list of things I can’t leave the house without has become a staple in ensuring I stay hydrated. 

Take Yourself on Dates

The most magnetic people are the ones who get to know themselves. A little homework assignment is to reconnect with what it is you like to do. I love solo dates to art museums, where I spend intentional time alone wandering around exhibits. If being alone feels a little daunting, listen to music or a podcast whilst you sketch, crochet, hike, etc. Taking yourself on little dates is not only a fun way to explore, but it’s also an opportunity to treat yourself with care. 

Move Your Body

Move your body in ways that bring you joy. I recently got into spin classes, and now I look forward to stepping into the gym. Whether it’s dancing, swimming, pilates, or yoga, try different workouts until you feel yourself naturally gravitating towards one. I always get a better workout when I have friends by my side and an instructor yelling at me. If you need a little motivation, grab a workout buddy to hold you accountable. The goal is to make exercising fun, not a chore. 

Hair Care

I’ve struggled to take care of my unruly hair. I’ve broken brushes, squinted at split ends, and pulled back oily strands. After much research I developed a hair care routine that works for me. I recommend changing your shampoo and conditioner to fit your hair type and picking out a hair mask. I’ve been loving the Mielle rosemary mint hair mask! Once or twice a week, I double-shampoo my hair, drench it in a hair mask, wash thoroughly, and wrap it in a microfiber towel to dry. I also put rosemary oil on my ends which promotes hair follicle growth. Lastly, silk pillowcases – not only do they help prevent your hair from breaking, they also make you feel like a princess!

Check-in With Yourself

One of my New Year’s resolutions is to check in with myself. I’ve always struggled with journaling as I have the attention span of a 5-year-old; however, writing a few sentences a day feels doable. I simply jot down three things I’m grateful for, three positive moments from the day, and three steps to improve tomorrow. These daily check-ins take about 5 to 10 minutes, and they’ve made such a big difference. It’s important for me to acknowledge my wins, plan for tomorrow, and appreciate what I have. 

Gentle Skincare

Despite the constant influx of skincare information, consistency is the most important thing: a gentle cleanser, a toner, a moisturizer, and spot treatment are all you need. I know you’ve heard it before, but this is your big sister reminder to always wipe off your makeup after a night out! If you have to leave makeup wipes on your nightstand, do it. I promise that you’ll feel better the next morning, waking up with a clean face. Also, living in sunny LA, sunscreen is essential, not only on your face but also your neck. The trick with sunscreen is to get one that’s so light you don’t feel it. I use the La Roche Posay sunscreen, and it lasts me months. Overall, don’t get overwhelmed with the endless TikToks of skincare information; just get the basics and be consistent. 

Now that we are heading into February, a little glow up might just be the thing to get you back on track. By breaking down your resolutions into manageable steps and infusing them with fun, feeling brand new in 2024 is completely doable.

Eden is a third year communications major at UCLA, from Haleiwa, Hawaii. She loves throwing herself into creative projects, whether that's upcycling thrift store finds or doodling in her sketchbook. You can find her exploring new bookstores and rolling out a yoga mat in her free time.