high school musical 2 summer job?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
high school musical 2 summer job?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Disney
Life > High School

Beyond The SAT : How To Create A Winning College Application

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCLA chapter.

Although we have been told that the SAT and the scores we get are the indications of how well we will do in college there are so many other factors that can change your preparedness. A college application consists of a multitude of diverse questions and basically a resume of your volunteer work, job experience and hobbies. In order to make sure you are giving yourself a fair chance to get into the school of your dreams, your application should creatively represent you as a college-ready student.

Show that you are creative! Make sure you include artistic hobbies such as cooking, painting or even skating in your essays. The beauty of people is that we are all incredibly different and finding the college that could be your ideal fit becomes easier to see when you include these skills. Remember to include anything from if you’ve done these things competitively to even if you’ve just had an experience that inspired you to start. Your personality and hobbies determine where you will be happiest overall. This is why it’s important to sit and think about these things.

Represent the thing that you care about in your community. If you’ve helped with any town projects or volunteered locally this is your time to shine! Being a part of something bigger than yourself shows that you’re part of the solution. Showcasing what you feel is important and why you have helped these causes says something about why you are who you are. Also, being specific when describing what makes you passionate about helping wherever you do can show that you align with a college’s values.

Remember where you are from and where you want to go. This step is important because everyone has a unique background and it can be difficult to synthesize who you are into an essay. In thinking about your goals and how you’ve met them in the past, what has motivated you to keep going? If you had to pinpoint what made you want to go to college in the first place, what would it be? At the end of the day, your application should reflect your goals and allow you to show that you have worked hard and why.

Although we get in our own heads about college applications being super important and competitive, they are meant to pair you with the school that is right for you. Dream schools look different to everyone and that depends on your personal preferences, so even though the process is stressful, it’s meant to put you somewhere you can be successful. Okay yes, it’s scary and anxiety-inducing right now but keep true to yourself and try to convey who you are more than anything. The best part of the application process is knowing you did your best and honestly that these schools are going to be fighting over you in the next few months. Good luck!

Kailey is an English major at UCLA and has her sights set on writing pieces that connect people to nature. Her main goal in her articles is to inspire people to be authentic and chase their passion.