A Quick Exploration of the Different Types of Feminism

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCLA chapter.

“Feminism” is a word that’s thrown around in all kinds of contexts. It’s used in both serious discourse and in humorous situations. It’s even used in a negative way to describe someone who “hates men.” But what does it actually mean? Turns out, feminism is a really broad concept, and there are a lot of ways to take part in the movement.

Simply put, feminism is the advocacy of the rights of women based on the theory of the equality of sexes. Historically, the movement is separated into three waves: first-wave feminism, which deals with property rights and the right to vote; second-wave feminism, which deals with equality and anti-discrimination; and third-wave feminism, which is a reshaping of the movement to be more inclusive in response to the second wave’s focus on privileged white women.

But feminism doesn’t look the same for everyone. For example, there’s the popular, mainstream type of feminism that you’ve probably seen: Liberal Feminism. Liberal Feminists emphasize freedom as a fundamental value, and they argue that women should have the same opportunities as men in their education, careers and more. They’re inclined to support things like affirmative action and abortion rights, and many of them also focus on equity, not just equality.

Others may find that their beliefs align with Marxist and Socialist Feminism, which believes that sexism is a consequence of capitalistic oppression. Marxist Feminists believe that patriarchal structures and institutions like marriage keep women in an inferior state. Most types of feminism overlap with Liberal Feminism, but this one has an emphasis on economic systems.

In addition, there are other branches of feminism that are more niche, like Ecofeminism. Ecofeminism draws on connections between women and nature and how male-centered societies have mistreated both. It advocates for gender equality, but it also deals with environmental affairs. Ecofeminists have a view that all life, including nature, is valuable.

Feminism can and should be celebrated in the way you want to. The fight for equal rights can intersect with other movements and ideologies like it does in Ecofeminism and Marxist feminism. There are other types of feminism besides the three listed above, and the movement continues to change with time alongside our society’s needs and values.

But at its core, feminism is about fighting for women’s rights. Feminism isn’t about putting other genders down, and its about being inclusive to all women, including women who have been historically left out of the movement, like transgender women.

Calling yourself a feminist can be daunting if you feel like you don’t know enough. It can also feel intimidating because it’s negatively connotated with notions like hating men. But remember that feminism is a human rights movement, so don’t be afraid to educate yourself on it because really, everyone should be a feminist.

Louise is a junior double majoring in English and Economics. She loves reading contemporary fiction and making Spotify playlists.