A Musical Theater Girl’s Take On The New “Mean Girls”

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCLA chapter.

Get in loser, we’re going to see Mean Girls! These were essentially the vibes when I dragged my boyfriend to see the new movie not once but TWICE over the course of opening weekend. As someone who listened to the 2018 original cast recording the night it came out, I’ve been waiting to see this film quite literally since it was announced. But as the movie’s release approached, it became clear that this was a polarizing movie. 

As someone who feels overly qualified, I wanted to weigh in on the movie now that I’ve seen it, because I think it’s getting WAY too much hate. That being said, there are also very valid criticisms that I want to address too.

The first thing I think we all need to acknowledge is that this is NOT a straight-up remake of the iconic 2004 film. It’s a film adaptation of the 2018 musical, which is BASED on the 2004 film. Are you confused yet? Essentially what this means is that things have been changed and updated to reflect a world 20 years later – and I don’t think that’s a bad thing. 

In my mind, the musical and the original movie exist in vastly different worlds. The musical is quirky (sometimes a little too quirky, tbh) but I actually think it gives the story a lot more heart. I think some of the new movie’s greatest moments come from some of its big musical numbers, particularly Karen’s “Sexy” and Regina’s “World Burn” and “Someone Gets Hurt”.

A lot of this success is also thanks to the movie’s incredible cast. I think Renée Rapp is a star in everything she does, and this movie is certainly no exception – Regina George is a role that she was born to play. I think Avantika as Karen is also a huge standout and had my whole theater cracking up both times. Jacquel Spivey and Auli’i Cravalho are ridiculously talented. And of course, my review would not be complete without a defense of Chris Briney, who I adore and think was an excellent casting choice (and I live by that).

That’s not to say this is a perfect film. A lot of the musical arrangements feel clunky, and the attempt to turn them into pop songs strips them of their character and emotional stakes. Angourie Rice, while a great actress, is not vocally equipped to be this movie’s lead. Some of my favorite Cady solos from the musical are cut or given to other characters entirely. The Plastics feel like they’re not in as much of the movie as they should be, especially Bebe Wood as Gretchen, whose talent feels underused. 

Long story short? GO SEE THE NEW MEAN GIRLS! It was ridiculously fun, and I already know this is going to be one of my comfort movies for a really long time. That being said, don’t go in with lofty expectations. This movie is not as iconic as the original, but I don’t think it’s trying to be. Its goal seems to be providing a fun, fresh take on a story we all know and love, and I think it achieves that goal completely. 

Kelly is a second-year Communications major at UCLA from Pasadena, California. During her free time, she can usually be found lost in a book, grabbing a coffee, or obsessing over the latest reality TV show.