A Custom Playlist Based On Scenes From Saltburn

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCLA chapter.

Saltburn, while mildly disturbing, is a work of artistic genius, in my opinion. This newest movie craze has its own soundtrack, but here are some songs that I think portray the mood and message of the most famous scenes in a more catchy way. I’ve assembled a soundtrack as iconic as the “Murder on the Dancefloor” scene, which I’m sure has been stuck in your head for a month now too. So, here is my personalized Saltburn playlist (SPOILER WARNING for the movie, of course!):

“I like you better than last year’s” – “bet u wanna” by Sabrina Carpenter

Venetia says this to Ollie, referring to the fact that Felix brings a new boy toy every summer to play with. This is just like when Sabrina sings “Told me I’m your only. It’s all unfolding babe”. Felix is also the popular boy at school, and in the closet, perfectly explained by the line “You been wasting time on the other side…But the lights are off, your so-called friends are gone”. This news also inspires Ollie to hookup with Venetia, possibly in a way to get back at Felix, which relates to “Hurts to see me out of your reach. Bet you wanna touch me now”. Overall this angsty groove, which frames the singer as having the upperhand in a situation where they were originally hurt, could definitely have been playing in Ollie’s mind during this scene. (Also, it is rumored that Ollie’s actor is romantic with Sabrina Carpenter!)

Summer Compilation – “Summerboy” by Lady Gaga

I loved this compilation (especially Venitia’s slay fit during their tennis game). I think this fun, poppy hit captures the energy of being young and carefree in the summer. The lyrics also correspond to how Felix is Ollie’s for the summer, but when they return to school they’ll probably have to be undercover friends again. 

Whenever Ollie Creepily Stalks Felix – “butterflies” by Gayle

This song is intense and moody, just like Ollie’s stare when his eye is seen creepily from the doorframe, as if he is stalking his prey. The repetitive “You’re my butterfly (sugar, crazy)” portrays a one-sided relationship because there is nothing that ever implies the feelings are mutual. There is also a sexual element to this song through lines like “You make my legs shake (you make me go crazy)”, but these lines are open enough that it is not stated that they actually ever engage in sex. This is just like how sexual tension is implied between Ollie and Felix but they never actually do the deed. 

Bathtub Scene – “I’m a Slave 4 U” by Britney Spears

I just think it would be hilarious for this song to start blasting while everyone watching the movie is cringing and covering their eyes. In all seriousness, this song, given the title, implies an unequal power dynamic, or in Ollie’s case attraction dynamic. Felix might be remotely interested in Ollie but Ollie is so creepily obsessed that, well… you know what happens in the bathtub. 

Graveyard Scene – “Breakfast” by Dove Cameron

This song portrays lust but also danger. I think the beat, the instrumentals, and the lyrics all perfectly fit this improvised scene. Although Ollie is infatuated and attracted to Felix, he ends up killing him. Although there is a physical connection between them, there is never an explicit emotional connection. This is so similar to the message of this song, because although Dove sings about physical attraction, this never overpowers her innate draw to destroy him. 

Meeting Ollie’s Parents on His Birthday – “Ex’s & Oh’s” by Elle King

I’m thinking of this song from Felix’s perspective. He can get any guy or girl that he wants and he fixes them up. He gives Ollie a great life that he is under the impression he doesn’t have access to, and Ollie still betrays him. More literally, Elle King sings “Ex’s and the oh’s they haunt me. Like ghosts they want me to make ‘em all. They won’t let go”. Ollie will not let go. He is so obsessed with this family that he stays even after killing both children. Felix is definitely haunted by Ollie as after he rejects Ollie, he is poisoned. Felix is also the type to be used for his money by the other boys he brings to his house in the summer.

When All of Ollie’s Secrets Are Revealed – “Mastermind” by Taylor Swift

In the closing scene, before “Murder on the Dancefloor”, there is a flashback to Ollie picking Felix from a crowd based on his wealth, poisoning him, tracking down Elspeth after her husband’s death, and so on, revealing that he was controlling everything in order to take the family’s wealth. He had secretly manipulated every scene to achieve his goal, just like Taylor sings about in “Mastermind”. 

I think these songs perfectly capture the scenes in this movie. Yes, there are many haters of the film. However, I think that given the cultural impact it has already had, it will go down in history.

Katy is a first year communications major at UCLA originally from Pennsylvania! She enjoys baking, Taylor Swift, and lifting :)