Anna Schultz-Friends Laughing In Holiday Pajamas
Anna Schultz / Her Campus
Wellness > Sex + Relationships

8 Double Date Ideas For The Holidays

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCLA chapter.

The holidays are a time for love and celebration of all kinds. Whether you’ll be going home to see your long-distance partner (hello, me?), bringing home someone new to meet the family, or spending time with your long-term person, the opportunities for some cute dates cannot be wasted. Winter is one of my favorite seasons, mainly for all of the cute activities you can do with your significant other. And, in celebration of two of my best friends going on their first date soon, we’re going to be giving you a list of some amazing double date* ideas.

*Note: all of these ideas can be easily transformed into singular date ideas, if wanted!

1. Ice skating

Ice skating is one of my favorite things to do during the holidays. There’s nothing more fun than strapping on a pair of skates and fumbling down the rink. A great plus to this is that it’s great for all skill levels! If you and your partner are both great skaters, you can show off. If one of you is better than the other, they can help the other. And if you both suck, well, it’s a great laugh. Ice skating is a perfect activity for all kinds of couples.

2. Christmas movie night

Who doesn’t love a good Christmas movie? With this date, each couple will want to choose their favorite Christmas movie. Grab some blankets, make some hot cocoa, and share your favorite movies with your favorite other couple.

3. Gingerbread house competition

I’m a competitive person. I admit it. And what’s more fun for someone who’s competitive than showing up your friends in a yummy competition? Both couples should build their own gingerbread house and decorate it to their liking. At the end, you can vote which is the best one. Just make sure you get an impartial third party to make the deciding vote, otherwise you may be arguing for a while…

4. Look at christmas lights

I love sitting in a warm car, drinking some hot cocoa, and driving around the town to look at lights. This is a great opportunity to play some music, tell some stories, and get into playful arguments over what kind of decorations are the best (I like warm lights, and if you like multi-colored ones you’re wrong).

5. snowball fight

This one is a bit tough for our So-Cal girlies, but if you live in the North like me, the mountains are only a couple hours away. Pile everyone into the car, set yourselves up for a drive, and head up to the snow. Not only can you have a killer snowball fight, but you can also make snowmen, take beautiful wintery photos, and enjoy the chilly atmosphere.

6. Skiing/Snowboarding

Photo of Sean Panado
Sean Panado

If you’re ready for a whole day of a double date, head up to go skiing or snowboarding. Make sure you dress warmly and get up early in the morning to get to the resort right as it opens. You can rent skis or a snowboard there. This is a great activity — especially if you’re dedicated to learning the skill together.

7. Bake cookies

Two of my favorite things are hanging out with my girlfriend and baking cookies. If you combine them, what’s not to love? Each couple can choose a recipe, and you can spend the night playing music and baking each one. Fun and delicious!

8. carriage ride

Horse At The Park B&W
Anna Thetard / Her Campus

One of the most romantic things you can do is to take a carriage ride around your local downtown. You can combine so many things into one activity: seeing lights, telling stories, being cozy. This is such a fun special date idea for the holidays. I mean, do you really love your partner if you haven’t taken them on a romantic Christmas carriage ride yet? (Yes, this is targeted. Alyson, take me on a carriage ride.)

With the holidays in full-swing, there’s nothing better than sharing fun activities with your friends and family. So this is your opportunity; text a friend, grab someone important to you, and rock the town with these wonderful double date ideas. We hope this gave you some inspiration! All of us here at Her Campus are warmly wishing you a Happy Holidays and a Merry New Year.

Jessica is a first year English major at UCLA. She loves both reading and writing, having even published her debut novel "The World Above the Waves" in 2022. When she isn't delving into literature, you can find her playing d&d, listening to music, or wherever either her twin sister or girlfriend are. She's so excited to be a part of the Her Campus team.