7 Questions Your Professor Will Appreciate You Asking

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCLA chapter.

There are questions that will irk your professors to no end (“Did I miss anything important?”), but there are also questions that your professor will really appreciate you asking. These questions will help you get a better understanding of your professor and help stimulate your interest and awareness in the field.

1. How did you get involved in this field?

Not only will this question help your professor see your interest and desire to get involved in the field, it will also help you learn more about the field. Your professor will appreciate this question because it’s important to them to share their story.

2. What’s your favorite thing about being a professor?

Listen closely! In answer to this question, your professor will spill some things that they want their students to do, so take notes!

3. What’s your least favorite thing about being a professor?

This question is just as important because it’s your professor’s caution of what NOT to do. By finding out what your professor dislikes, you can stray away from those behaviors. It’s a good word of warning for all your future professors as well.

4. What resources do you recommend to help me succeed in this class?

This question shows your professor that you really do care about doing well in this class, and are willing to commit time and effort to it.

5. What do you recommend participating in to get more involved in this field?

If you really want to get involved in the field, ask your professor all about it! Your professor will be glad to share his/her knowledge and experience with you. Whether they suggest that you participate in internships or take more classes, you can gain great advice from this question.

6. Why did you choose to get involved in this field?

Learn more about your professor—what they like, their interests. You may even find yourself sharing those same interests, which will give you a basis of connection with your professor.

7. What should I do to improve?

Let your professor know that you care about the class, about how you perform in the class and about your future. Don’t be afraid to take advice from your knowledgeable professors!

Asking your professors the right questions can help you learn a lot about them and about yourself. The next time you go to your professor’s office hours, see if you can ask them some of these questions! More importantly, think of questions that are specific to your professor. If they mentioned something interesting in class, ask more about it instead of generic questions.

Kalysa was the 2020-21 Editor in Chief and Campus Correspondent for the UCLA chapter of Her Campus. She was also previously a Senior Editor and Feature Writer for the chapter. On the rare occasion she's not busy studying for school or writing for Her Campus, you'll probably find her indulging in tiramisu or reading (and re-reading) her favorite novels. 
Her Campus at UCLA is a proud Elite Level Chapter in the Her Campus. Our team consists of talented writers, content creators, photographers, designers, event planners and more! Follow us @HerCampusUCLA and check out HerCampus.com/school/UCLA for more articles! Feel free to contact us at hc.ucla@hercampus.com for any questions.