Style > Fashion

7 Asian Designers Redefining The Fashion World

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCLA chapter.

The impact of Asian designers in fashion has substantially grown in recent years amidst a movement toward diversity and inclusion. In a predominantly white industry, many Asian designers have risen to the challenge to secure their spot among the more prominent designers in fashion. Asian contribution to fashion transcends labels and names given the variety of nationalities and ethnicities that fall under the categorization of Asian. In a time of rising anti-Asian sentiment and racist hate crimes, it is important to continue to highlight Asian history and influence in an industry known for its lack of representation.

Anna Sui

Anna Sui has been invested in the fashion world since the 1970s, attending two years of school at the Parsons School of Design in New York before creating her first collection in 1981. She draws upon vintage design and inspiration from a variety of cultural underground art and music when creating her own style of modern clothing. In past runways, she hasn’t been shy in exploring new styles such as grunge or punk-rock when experimenting with trends in various collections. Sui’s eye for color and niche design palette placed her on a pedestal after her first successful runway in 1991. Her collaboration with Isetan, a Japanese company, opened multiple boutiques under her name in Japan, garnering fame in Asia and worldwide.

Prabal Gurung

Prabal Gurung is known for his flair in recreating modern luxury in high-fashion couture, often showcasing his extravagant personality through his beautiful collections. Gurung was raised in Kathmandu, Nepal before starting a career in design in New Delhi, India. He later launched his first collection in 2009 after moving to New York City to pursue fashion at Parsons with a vision for bold glamour and unforgettable style. Gurung is notable for his establishment of the Shikshy Foundation Nepal, a foundation that supports underprivileged children in Nepal by providing them with an education and generating job opportunities for its graduates. Gurung is dedicated to not only creating fashion beyond the conventional lines of the industry, but he is also committed to impacting world change by aiding those in need.

Sandy Liang

Sandy Liang started her career in fashion after attending Parsons, interning with many high-end brands such as 3.1 Phillip Lim and Jason Wu. The native New Yorker launched her brand in 2014, casting her grandmother as the star model in her first collection. She promoted her first line on the streets of Chinatown with ad campaigns starring her friends and grandmother. In 2019, GQ highlighted her leopard-print-and-neon fleece jacket as one of the “hottest jackets in menswear.” Liang’s fleece-wear became her signature design, allowing her to hold her first fashion show in New York Fashion Week that year. She has often stated her Chinese heritage plays a large role in her style inspiration, as evidenced by the numerous pieces designed for her grandmother. Her ability to manipulate designs with her signature details in fleeces, tulle and gingham takes her collections outside the traditional realm of fashion.

Bibhu Mohapatra

Bibhu Mohapatra grew up in Odisa, India surrounded by the vibrant colors and distinctive design of Indian fabrics. The intricacy of Indian culture and textile construction remain prevalent in many of Mohapatra’s current designs. He began his fashion career after enrolling at the Fashion Institute of Technology in 1999. He was awarded the Critic’s Award for Best Evening Wear Designer his senior year for his complex evening gowns and attention to detail within his evening wear. His gowns have been worn by former First Lady Michelle Obama as well as actresses Hilary Swank and Gwyneth Paltrow in a beautiful showcase of Indian representation in American fashion.

Joseph Altuzarra

Joseph Altuzarra was born and raised in Paris to a French father and Chinese-American mother. He often cites his upbringing and exposure to a range of cultural facets as an influence for his creativity and design. His brand, Altuzarra, was launched in 2008, and in the time since his first collection, he has received numerous credits and recognitions for his work. Of these accolades, Altuzarra was awarded the Swarovski Award for Womenswear Design and named Womenswear Designer of the Year in 2014 by the Council of Fashion Designers America. His brand preserves the epitome of sophistication in creating luxury women’s ready-to-wear, and his commitment to honoring timeless quality with modernity shows through his craftsmanship. Each of his collections feature unique, alluring pieces drawn to accentuate the femininity and power exuded by the woman of the new world.

Phillip Lim

Phillip Lim, an American born fashion designer whose parents fled Cambodia during the Cambodian genocide. He co-founded 3.1 Phillip Lim with friend and business executive Wen Zhou in 2005 after working for the Los Angeles-based fashion brand Development. In 2007, he was awarded the Emerging Talent in Womenswear award by the Council of Fashion Designers America, and in 2012, he earned the Swarovski award for Menswear. Lim’s touch in both womenswear and menswear exudes exceptionally detailed artisanship while enhancing the saliency of each season through classic fabric draping and street elegance. His eye for floral elements and seductive, yet classy hemlines has contributed to the movement of potent femininity in modern day luxury womenswear.

chenpeng

CHENPENG was founded in 2015 in London by Peng Chen after he earned a Master’s degree in Menswear Fashion Design Technology from the London College of Fashion. His work with one-sized fashion portrays his dedication to embracing fashion for those with body sizes outside the norm. His style aesthetics transcend the borders between beautiful attraction and oversized portraiture. Peng’s designs highlight personal characteristics beyond the normal beauty standards in creating pieces fit for individuals of all sizes regardless of body shape or height. His pieces defy the industry’s norm, choosing to include bold elements of surprise while maintaining practicality.

The importance of Asian designers’ impact within the fashion world serves to show the boundary-breaking work each has accomplished in their time as designers. Their outside-the-box designs and defiance of industry standards elevates the impact of fashion by taking style to the next level.

Megha is currently a third year global studies major with a passion for digital journalism at UCLA. She loves exploring the arts beyond writing, including photography, graphic design, and painting. In her free time, she loves reading classic literature, making jewelry, and learning new languages!