Style

6 Essentials You Need For Your Spring Wardrobe

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCLA chapter.

Warmer temperatures are officially upon us as the winter chill gives way to spring sunshine. Since fall, we’ve been on the lookout for which fashion trends would dominate the spring season. A combination of vintage classics, simple staples and whimsical accessories have emerged as the top contenders for your spring must-haves. It seems as if I will be having to work overtime this year because I am absolutely determined to fill my closet with these essentials. Check out these six fashion staples to spice up your wardrobe for the warmer weather ahead:

Baggy Jeans

Skinny jeans are officially out—I can promise you they won’t be coming back for (what I hope is) a long time.

Denim has remained a staple of every season, with its versatility to be styled according to any change in weather. The baggier jeans of the 90s are officially making a comeback, and if the latest collections from my favorite brands have proved anything, it’s that they’re here to stay. Jeans are heavily leaning toward looser fits often paired with tighter tops to make for a complete look.

FLOUNCY BLOUSES

Flouncy blouses just scream spring to me. The loose fit of the sleeves, the ruffle details and the fluidity of the fabric in the breeze makes for a perfect combination in warmer temperatures. These tops, often paired with lace bralettes or solid colored bras, offer a softer dynamic to spring tops. Flouncy blouses prove to be the perfect addition to your spring wardrobe with the lighter flow of the fabric and the ease of the ruffled hemlines.

MAXI SKIRTS

Who doesn’t love a good maxi skirt moment? While mini-skirts still remain a classic item in spring fashion, maxi skirts have also established themselves as a top trend contender. The sophistication of a longer skirt paired with a fun pattern and lighter material makes for the perfect spring staple item. Luckily, maxi skirts can be dressed up or down depending on the occasion, and nearly any complimenting top pairs perfectly for a beautiful spring outfit.

TAILORED FITS

The art of the tailored blazer has been making its way into casual fashion for years. Popular brands such as Zara and H&M have been renovating the professional clothing item into chic, tailored fits perfect for the balance in weather brought by spring. Suit pieces and tailored fits are always a good staple to have in your closet. This season, add a level of executive elegance to your collection to mix amongst the flowy, bouncier spring clothing.

BALLET FLATS

It seems that ballet core has officially taken fashion by storm this spring season. Many spring/summer 2023 runways, including Dauphinette, Sandy Liang and Tory Burch, featured some version of the iconic shoe. While it may seem that the shoe seems more appropriate for work wear, there’s no limit to styling the classic flat in all its various versions. The renewed trend reinvents the dynamic duo of comfort and chic in a shoe easy to pair with jeans, dresses and skirts!

CHUNKY JEWELRY

Bigger and bolder has emerged as a theme for spring accessories, and chunky jewelry is no exception. The 2000’s were dominated by larger than life styles, most of which included bulkier jewelry such as chunky rings and thick necklaces. Recently, the trend has been making a comeback as simpler outfits are styled with colorful stacks of rings and necklaces featuring large pendants. Don’t be afraid to go bolder—and brighter—this season!

Ditch those winter clothes and thick sweaters—spring is finally here to stay. Whether it’s brighter, bolder colors or flouncier, loose hemlines, these spring must-haves are the perfect additions for the incoming warmer weather.

Megha is currently a third year global studies major with a passion for digital journalism at UCLA. She loves exploring the arts beyond writing, including photography, graphic design, and painting. In her free time, she loves reading classic literature, making jewelry, and learning new languages!