This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCLA chapter.

With the constant emergence of new social media platforms, it’s hard to judge when you truly should involve yourself in the up-and-coming apps. We’ve seen multiple apps go just as quickly as they took over the internet. But take it from me, BeReal truly is different than any other social media, and here are the reasons why: 

Your new photo “dump” 

• If you ask me, the fact that your BeReal is saved every day for you (and only you) to look back at has to be the best aspect of the app. BeReal gives you the option to not only look back at how you spent your month but literally see how you spent every day. And yes I know you can’t capture a whole day into a picture, but these look back definitely capture the moment. BeReal has your back when you’re preparing to post those monthly photo “dumps.” 

You get the real deal 

• If you’re living half-way across the country or if you simply don’t have the time to catch up often, BeReal gives you the best options to see your friends’ everyday lives. It really is an accomplishment to post before that two minute timer runs out, so for the most part you can expect to see what they are doing at any given moment. And even if they are occasionally late because the timer goes off at the most bizarre moments you still get to see what they posted late. So no more excuses, here’s a quick way to always keep checking in on your friends. 
KATIE STEVENS, MEGHANN FAHY, AISHA DEE
Freeform / Jonathan Wenk / Disney Enterprises

Numbers Aren’t Involved 

• We’ve all felt the pressure of our new post not doing as well as those on our feed or quickly deleted a post because we realized it isn’t a good time to post. With BeReal, these issues are non-existent. There are no likes, only your friends’ real reactions. You don’t have to worry about whose BeReal will get the most likes or if it’s a good social hour to post. Everyone posts together, and there is nothing that makes someone’s post better than the others. 

No Reason to Get Addicted

• We’ve all done it. We’ve all said that it was just a five minute study break. Suddenly, it’s 2 hours later and you’ve probably scrolled through more TikToks than you can count. I promise you the addiction risk factor for BeReal is very low. Besides making your daily posts and viewing what your friends have posted, the only thing left to do is either comment or react with a RealMoji. With the limited options provided through the app, there really is no reason you should spend over 10 minutes a day using it. 

IT’S YOU, ALL YOU HAVE TO DO IT BE YOU 

• No filters, no editing, no alterations and no captions necessary. BeReal has created a social media experience where users can just be themselves. Yes, you can post yourself in bed for the tenth time that month, and yes you can wait a couple of hours because you want to show your dinner plans. The main reason BeReal has exploded is that it’s a genuine app where users show their daily life, no matter how boring or wild. 

BeReal is not your average social media app, and it really has proven that through its unique features. No more worries about likes or lack of content, the app is genuinely a fun way to keep connected. With no expectations from its users, BeReal has created the ultimate social media safe space for everyone to be themselves. 

Kajal is a second year political science major at UCLA . In her free time she enjoys reading, writing, and occasionally crocheting.