Style > Fashion

5 Style Tips From Someone With Uneven Hips

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCLA chapter.

They say the key to fashion is to dress for your body type, but that becomes a challenge when your body type is irregular. Due to scoliosis, my hips are visibly uneven. This trait of mine has severely impacted my confidence over the years, and I have found ways to feel comfortable and confident with myself through fashion. For all the women out there struggling to dress because of mental or physical dilemmas with their torso, here are five style tips from someone with uneven hips:

There are options between high-waisted and low-waisted

The new trend is that low-waisted jeans are coming back, and many people, including myself, are not happy with the idea. Low-waisted jeans automatically show my unevenness. I have many high-waisted skirts, pants, and jeans that I love, but in my quest for dressing for my body, I have found there are options between the two levels. There are a variety of mid-waisted options that I find to actually be more flattering on my body than certain high-waisted options. I find my sweet spot to be right where my belly button is, but it is different for everybody. I recommend going into fitting rooms with a variety of bottoms and finding what level of waist makes you feel most confident, knowing that it doesn’t have to be high or low.

A-Line Dresses Are Your Friend

There is nothing I love more than an A-line dress. For those who don’t know, an A-line dress, as the name indicates, is a dress that is tighter towards the top and then flares out where the line in an A would be. There are different levels to this flare from puffy to a tad tighter. No matter the flare, what is perfect about an A-line dress is that it is perfect for accentuating the waist, but it just skims over the hips. Therefore, if you are uncomfortable with your lower torso, this is a great way to disguise it.

Find Alternatives To Body Suits

Like low-rise jeans, bodysuits have made a comeback. Not only do I dislike the inconvenience of bodysuits, but they show everything! Therefore, I try to stay away from them. Instead, I find tops that are longer (go all the way to the bottom of my torso) and tuck them into my bottoms. If I want a slightly more fitted look, I can tuck my top into my undergarments. You have more control and liberty than you would with a bodysuit when opting for longer tops and getting creative with the way you tuck them.

Find Brands Most Flattering To You

This is a good rule of thumb no matter your body type. This process may take a while, but it is so worth it, and now I rarely shop outside my go-to looks. For anyone in a similar situation as me, Zara and Gap have great jeans and bottoms. ASOS is great too (but I do shop from their tall line). I rarely have luck with stores such as Shein and Forever 21. I sometimes have to look at niche boutiques as well. My favorite was Long Tall Sally before it closed (may she rest in peace). The best advice I can give is to experiment and realize what works for most people may not work for you.

Love Your Body No Matter What

The final and by far most important tip is to accept your body no matter what it looks like. Your imperfections are what make you beautiful and special. While I may try to disguise my uneven hips, I still love them because they are a part of my story. At the end of the day, it is your self-love, not a certain style or brand that will carry you for life.

Finding clothes that make you feel good can be a challenge. Hopefully, these tips help give some direction, but please know no matter what, the most important thing about fashion is feeling confident and beautiful. Through all the trends, there is no right or wrong way to dress, it is all about finding what works best for you. 

BriannaRose is a UCLA Communications major and Film/TV minor who aspires to break boundaries and stigmas. As an aspiring creative director and editorial writer, she works on student films and photography projects, and has professional experience in entertainment and fashion journalism, fashion public relations and internal communications for cable. In addition to writing, BriannaRose volunteers at local animal shelters, competes in pageants, and is always excited to read a contemporary romance novel.