Life > Experiences

5 Simple Ways To Show Your Long-Distance Friends Some Love This Holiday Season

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCLA chapter.

When COVID-19 hit, most of us left UCLA and retreated to our hometowns, which means we were no longer seeing the same people every day. All of a sudden, there were thousands of miles between you and your inner circle. While Zoom calls and group chats are great ways to maintain those relationships, here are five more ways to show your friends that you’re thinking of them this holiday season:

Send them a handwritten card.

Among the plethora of digitized card options, sending one in the mail is always a thoughtful gesture. If you’re feeling extra creative, you can even craft your own! Make sure to include a personalized message and you’re guaranteed to give your friend a pleasant surprise (all while supporting the USPS, might I add). 

Make them a playlist.

We all want to be the main character, and what screams more main character energy than a soundtrack of your life? Whether or not you and your bestie share the same music taste, compiling a playlist that reminds you of them is sure to put a smile on their face. It’s also the perfect way to reminisce about the good ol’ days pre-pandemic if certain songs hold memories of you two hanging out. If you do like the same music, you can also put together a bunch of recommendations for them to enjoy. 

Watch holiday movies together.

You can really watch any movie, but cheesy Hallmark ones are the most fun to watch with friends. With finals right around the corner, this is a great way to unwind and give your brain a break while catching up with your pals. Whether you’re watching them unironically or only to make fun of the predictable main characters, a movie night is always a good time.

Call and ask how they’re doing.

While many people enjoy being home for the holidays, it can be difficult or triggering for others. Especially this year, whose events could’ve exacerbated previously existing family tensions, it’s important to check in on your friends and make sure they are taking care of themselves. A simple phone call is enough to reach out and show that you are there for them.

Tell them!

Sometimes, all people need is to hear that they are loved. It’s not easy keeping in touch or staying close with people across thousands of miles, so if you’re grateful for your enduring friendships, then make sure they know. This time of year tends to bring out everyone’s sappy side, but it’s never a bad time to show your friends some appreciation.

2020 has been trying for everybody, so now more than ever, it’s important to maintain strong bonds with the people you’re close with, especially those that are thousands of miles away. No matter how you choose to give love, remember that the little things can go a long way to brightening someone’s holiday season.

Audrie is a fourth-year student from Honolulu, Hawaii, majoring in Human Biology Society and minoring in Anthropology. Her favorite things to talk about are self-care, brunch, and her cat. She also really loves the beach and anything matcha flavored! In her free time, you can catch her shopping for records, books, and Trader Joe's snacks.