This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCLA chapter.

Ever have time to kill? I know we all do now that classes are in person and we have that grueling walk to class. Podcasts are a great way to keep yourself entertained for an extended period of time, and I have five different shows that you should check out:

Hey, cool life!

Hey, Cool Life! is a “minipod” by New York Times bestselling author Mary H.K. Choi. Choi’s main focus is on mental health and creativity and also how the two interact with her work as a writer. If you’re an artist or a writer, this podcast will intrigue you and give you tidbits of insight into life.

Lore

Looking for something to give you the chills? Or are you a history buff looking for something new? Lore is an amazing podcast about dark historical tales. Episodes explore topics like unsolved murders, the origin of common human fear and tales about popular mythical creatures. The podcast used historical accounts at the core of its episodes to really get you questioning what lies in the dark. Lore is actually the show that got me into podcasts, so I encourage you to check it out.

Lakers film room

If you’re a fan of L.A.’s favorite basketball team (sorry Clippers fans), you should check out this sports podcast for insights on the team and breakdowns of games. If you’re not a huge basketball fan, but you’re interested in learning more about the sport, this is a great way to gain more knowledge on terms and players.

THe daily

The Daily is a podcast from The New York Times featuring the biggest news stories of today. The show takes current events and turns them into super engaging 20-minute episodes. If you want to hear from some of the best journalists in the nation, this should be your go-to podcast.

Criminal

Criminal sounds like it’d be a gruesome true-crime show, but there’s actually more to it than that. It talks about all sorts of crimes, even some that are quite mysterious and bizarre. If you need a break from the sinister true crime podcasts that keep you up at night, this show is a great way to hear about unique and intriguing cases.

So if you’re looking to kill some time, I encourage you to check out Spotify and the wealth of podcasts they have available. If you don’t know where to start, these five will help you figure out what shows interest you.

Louise is a junior double majoring in English and Economics. She loves reading contemporary fiction and making Spotify playlists.