A girl\'s back profile as she looks at books outside a bookstore
Original photo by Kylee Kropf

5 Minority Romance Authors You Need To Add To Your Book Collection

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCLA chapter.

I’m a self-certified romance book expert. My qualifications: I exclusively read romance novels, my TikTok For You Page is 50% BookTok and one of the many reasons I frequent The Grove is so I can enjoy its absolutely beautiful Barnes & Noble. I may not be at the level of reading 100 books per year, but I keep myself well-versed in the contemporary romance genre scene. 

Therefore, I know that as a contemporary romance genre fan who also happens to be a minority, it can be frustrating finding a good book where you feel represented. The majority of popular romance authors are very talented, but also white, and usually their protagonists are a reflection of their backgrounds. And yes, I love the January Andrews and Olive Smiths of the book world, but sometimes I want a character that reflects me. I am happy to have found these authors and would love to recommend them. So, here are 5 minority romance authors that you should support.

Jasmine Guillory

Jasmine Guillory came recommended to me by my cousin, and I am so glad that she did. Guillory writes romance novels with black female protagonists at the center, and she unapologetically writes about their experiences while keeping her stories light and relatable. They are perfect for everyone. The friend groups and side characters are always diverse, and many of the books are interconnected. There is also variety among her male protagonists as well. There have been Latino, white and black men who swoop ladies off their feet. I just finished The Proposal, and I am looking forward to exploring her other narratives.

Helen Hoang

Helen Hoang might just be my favorite romance writer. She dropped The Kiss Quotient trilogy and has left me wanting more ever since. Hoang writes about Asian and Asian American characters from different socio-economic backgrounds. Her stories also have an element of intersectionality. As someone on the Autism spectrum, she writes her experiences through all her main characters who also happen to be autistic. Picking up a book may be intimidating at first, but her books are informative and extremely engaging. They are funny, sweet, sentimental, a little spicy and definitely make you want to read all day. I finished each trilogy book in 3 days or less, and I am patiently waiting for the day she drops her next masterpiece. 

Mia Sosa

Mia Sosa knows exactly how to make you laugh. The Latina writer creates stories that follow Latina protagonists and their journeys for love. My first book of hers this year, The Wedding Crasher, was hilarious and everything you could want in a fake dating trope read. She also relies heavily on the theme of family, as “The Tías” are huge characters in the story with their support and humor. You can just feel the love through the pages!

Sara Desai 

Sara Desai helped me get out of my reading slump after years of struggling to pick up a romance book. Desai writes about Indian and Indian American protagonists and their journeys finding love. Her story The Dating Plan is another great fake dating, second chance, friends/enemies to lovers trope book all in one, and not many authors can pull that off. Her protagonist’s Indian family will also have you laughing and smiling, and it’s safe to say that most people of color can relate to the dynamic within the big but close-knit family.

Farrah Rochon

I haven’t read Farrah Rochan yet, but she is definitely on my to be read list. Her books appear all over my BookTok since she is known for The Boyfriend Project and The Hook-Up Plan. She has also been nominated for the RITA award for Best Contemporary Romance, so she is definitely worth checking out!

Keep these authors in mind the next time you visit Barnes & Noble or your local bookstore. Diversify your book collection, literally and figuratively!

BriannaRose is a UCLA Communications major and Film/TV minor who aspires to break boundaries and stigmas. As an aspiring creative director and editorial writer, she works on student films and photography projects, and has professional experience in entertainment and fashion journalism, fashion public relations and internal communications for cable. In addition to writing, BriannaRose volunteers at local animal shelters, competes in pageants, and is always excited to read a contemporary romance novel.