This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCLA chapter.

I wanted short hair for years. First it was a bob, then an undercut (which my mom actually let me get because it was hidden) and then, after months of asking, I was able to get my hair cut short my senior year of high school. 

I absolutely love my short hair for so many reasons. So, if you’re thinking about doing the big chop, this article is for you. Here’s five benefits to having short hair:

It’s low maintenance

I’m a lazy girl, I’ll admit it. Spending hours getting ready every morning is not my way. That makes short hair perfect for me. With my short hair, I can roll out of bed, ruffle it a little bit and be ready to go in under five minutes. That way I have more time to get ready, shower and — most importantly — sleep.

It’s consistent

silhouette of a person
Photo by Jessica Meeker

I’ve found that, when you have short hair, bad hair days are less common. Maybe it’s because I have less hair to work with, but as long as it dries properly, my hair pretty much always looks the same. And, on those rare bad hair days where nothing is behaving, I can always hide all of it with a baseball cap.

You save money

Say goodbye to expensive hair products, styling tools and buying new shampoo and conditioner every two weeks. With short hair, you don’t need anything fancy. Basic shampoo and conditioner, a hair dryer, and some hair spray (if you’re feeling fancy) is more than enough to style your hair however you wish. No need to spend $200 on hair products every month; the basics work just fine.

It works for formal and informal occasions

You don’t need to do much to change your hair for formal occasions — making sure it looks neat and put together is more than enough. If you’ve ever wondered why boys can get ready so quickly, this is it. You don’t need to spend three hours washing and drying and curling your hair before a job interview. Just comb your hair, spray it in place, and you’re good to go for the rest of the day. 

And if you need something more casual, short hair is often meant to look slightly messy. There’s no need to worry about making it look perfect. Artfully messy is the way to go.

It can be feminine or masculine

No matter what style you present as, short hair will work for it. If you want a more feminine look, you can pair it with jewelry, makeup and feminine clothing like dresses or skirts to embrace that Pixie Hollow look. And if you’re like me and prefer to dress more androgynous, short hair lends itself to that. too.

All in all, I’ve loved my experience having short hair, and I’ll likely keep it for a long time. If you’re debating embracing that big change, there’s so many benefits to chopping it all off. Short hair is fun, easy, and adaptable to so many different situations. I’ve loved having short hair, and you can too.

Jessica is a first year English major at UCLA. She loves both reading and writing, having even published her debut novel "The World Above the Waves" in 2022. When she isn't delving into literature, you can find her playing d&d, listening to music, or wherever either her twin sister or girlfriend are. She's so excited to be a part of the Her Campus team.