Wellness > Sex + Relationships

10 Movies You Need To See If You Despise Valentine’s Day

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCLA chapter.

​The popularity of Valentine’s Day has allowed this holiday to become a nearly 20 BILLION dollar industry. Aside from personal anniversaries, no other day has become as romanticized as this one. It is not surprising that between the unrealistic expectations and the thousands of disappointing dates, some people may be rubbed off in the wrong way with this lovey-dovey holiday. To avoid having to look through sickly sweet Instagram stories this year, watch these movies that will prove that sometimes being single and unbothered is the way to go. 

1. Blue Valentine 

In the beginning, it was passionate love at first site for the smoldering Ryan Gosling and the stunning Michelle Williams. But like all things in life, romance does not last forever. Blue Valentine is about more than just the inevitable honeymoon phase. It is about a couple struggling to find a way to repair the seemingly irreversible damage that has occured in their marriage. Finishing this movie will literally leave you with a bruised heart. 

2. 10 Things I Hate About You

High school can be an annoying. Dealing with mysognistic men who have nothing but sex on their minds is just the terrible cherry on top. Julia Stiles’ character saves the day with her feminist take on the superficial people in her high school. To be fair, this movie is still a romantic comedy. But it is the strong female characters and the botched plans of the male leads that make this movie worth watching on Valentine’s Day. 

3. 500 Days of Summer 

At first glance, this looks like any other romantic comedy. The main characters in this movie, Joseph Gordon-Levitt and Zooey Deschanel, are screen favorites. He’s the awkward guy who’s looking for love and she’s the realistic girl who stopped believing in true love. You would think this is the perfect set up for Levitt’s character to show Deschanel that true love can happen with the right person, i.e. him. But the deeper we get into the movie, the more we realize that Deschanel’s character is much more than the manic pixie dream girl she was painted to be. 

4. Fatal Attraction 

Love can be intense and filled with fiery passion. But is there such a thing as too much passion? In this film, Michael Douglas is enjoying his lovely life with his wife and daughter. Watch his life unravel into a dangerous hell after he makes the mistake of having a one-night stand with a vengeful and borderline psychotic, Glenn Close.

5. Frances Ha

According to movies, your 20’s are supposed to be some of the most confusing years of your life. You will have friends signing their first mortages and advancing in their careers while you are deciding whether to buy toiletries or wine with your last $20 bill. Frances Ha is a short and whimsical tale about a young woman who makes the best out of life, as her friendship, love life (or lack thereof) and career become more complicated. Spoiler alert: in the end, friendship prevails as the main characters realize that you don’t need to depend on a relationship for happiness. 

6. It Follows

If there was ever a movie that doubled as a horror and STD-safety PSA then It Follows would win the prize. Maika Monroe plays the role of the innocent teenager who has unfortunately been given a disturbing curse that can only be passed through *gasp* sex. This horror/thriller gets intense as you find yourself questioning the main characters’ desperate attempts at survival.

7. The Break Up

Jennifer Aniston and Vince Vaughn get extremely petty in this rom-com about two people who commit to each other way too fast. They end up moving into a condo together but upon breaking up, they realize that neither of them wants to move out. Watch as they come up with ridiculous plans to get each other to give in and officially leave the condo. If bitter is your favorite flavor, you’ll love this movie.  

8. My Bloody Valentine

The title says it all. If you have ever needed a reason not to go out on Valentine’s Day, then please watch this movie to reaffirm your decision. On the bright side, you get to watch Jensen Ackles play a smoking hot coal miner who is trying to evade the possible ghost of a murderous miner. 

9. Shame

Sex sells and that’s why this movie became so successful. If you are a fan of Michael Fassbender, then you’ll love watching him figure himself out in the world of sex addiction. Sex isn’t always about love and intimacy, and some people have a hard time attributing those emotions to the act. If you are curious about the plights of sex addiction then this film is a good one to start your research with. 

10. Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind 

If you enjoy a good meloncholy film about failed relationships, then you’ll love this cult classic starring Jim Carrey and Kate Winslet. Their characters go through a medical procedure to permanently erase their memories of each other after their relationship painfully did not work out. This tear-jerker makes viewers realize that sometimes love can be twisted in a way that renders it unrepairable. 

UCLA 2020 Pamela is a Feature Writer for the UCLA Chapter of Her Campus. When Pamela isn't stressing over exams you can find her obsessing over skin care routines, reading POC-centered novels, and attempting to exercise.