andrew neel z55CR d0ayg unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
andrew neel z55CR d0ayg unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

10 Fun Spring Break Ideas For Anyone Staying in Los Angeles

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCLA chapter.

So, you’re stuck in LA for spring break, totally sucks right? Wrong! In fact, unless you’re spending SB on some exquisite trip abroad, staying in Los Angeles is probably more exciting than going back home, anyway. Perhaps that’s just me being bias since I’ve lived here all my life, but either way, if you’re staying on campus, you’re in for a fun Spring Break. It really is true that the possibilities are endless when it comes to having things to do here. There’s so much to see and do that you may even have trouble choosing. So, whether you plan on being an adventurer over break or you just want to stay local, here are just a few ideas…

For The Adventurers

If you want to venture out and explore So Cal, you’re in luck. You could basically get to any of these destinations in two to three hours. So grab some friends, book an Air BnB and head out of town for a couple days.

1. Big Bear

If you’re in the mood to stay in a cabin with views of beautiful scenery and race Jet Ski’s on the lake with your friends, this is the place.

2. San Diego

Yes, Los Angeles is home to many beaches but, San Diego beaches can’t be beat. Head down to the cute little beach town of La Jolla for a day of shopping before watching the beautiful San Diego sunset on the shore.

3. Palm Springs

This place is hot– literally the temperature could be upwards of 100 degrees. However, it’s also a hot spring break destination. Pool by day, bar hopping and hot tubs by night? Down.

4. Santa Barbara

What better place to spend SB than in SB? If you want to be classy, head out to a winery for a wine tasting with your girls. If you want to be basic, head down to State Street and live a day in the life of a UCSB student.

5. Joshua Tree

If you’re into hiking and nature, Joshua Tree is your place. Located in the Mojave Desert, Joshua Tree is full of beautiful scenery and several hiking trails.   

For The Locals

Staying in the area? Now you get to do all the fun stuff that you have been meaning to do all year!

1. Play Tourist

Even if UCLA is right in your backyard, touring Los Angeles is always a fun experience. Check out Rodeo Drive, the Hollywood Walk of Fame and Universal City. While you’re at it, you may as well take that TMZ bus tour you’ve secretly always wanted to go on. Don’t worry, we won’t tell anyone.   

2. Venice Beach

Go bike riding with some friends along Venice Beach! When you’re done, head down to Abbot Kinney Blvd for a mile long street of cute restaurants and shops.

3. Santa Monica Pier

Unleash your inner child with a day full of rides and cotton candy!

4. Malibu

Chill alongside the beautiful beaches on the Malibu coast. While driving up PCH, be sure to check out El Matador State Beach, Paradise Cove and Lechuza.

5. Hiking

Grab some friends and your athletic wear for a nice morning hike. Los Angeles offers a ton of scenic hiking routes including Mandeville Canyon, Will Rogers State Historic Park, Temescal Canyon and of course the hike up to the Hollywood sign.

Photos Courtesy of: CBS, La Jolla International Fashion Film Festival, Big Bear Escapes, California Beaches, Roots Rated, CNN, Venice Beach Bicycles, Discover Los Angeles, Women on a Roll, Riviera Palm Springs, Curbed LA, The Odyssey 

Carly is a features writer for Her Campus at UCLA. In her free time she loves to sing, write, and spend time with her friends and family. 
Her Campus at UCLA is a proud Elite Level Chapter in the Her Campus. Our team consists of talented writers, content creators, photographers, designers, event planners and more! Follow us @HerCampusUCLA and check out HerCampus.com/school/UCLA for more articles! Feel free to contact us at hc.ucla@hercampus.com for any questions.