This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCF chapter.

Her name is Zendaya, but I suggest we create a petition to call her Zenbaeya or Zenslaya. It’s not that far-fetched. She walks with confidence and has this amazing glow about her. March is Women’s History Month, and everyday Zendaya gives us all the more reasons to love her. Not everything listed here is centered on Women’s History Month, but that has never stopped women from being amazing all year long.

1.       She’s got her own Barbie.

So this happened last year, but seriously this is still so important. Honestly, if you are a real person, and Mattel creates a Barbie in your likeness, it shows how much of an impact on young girls and pop culture you truly have. Only the best of the best get to be Barbie, like Beyoncé, Diana Ross, Marilyn Monroe, Audrey Hepburn, and now Zendaya.

2.       She’s 19 years old and is making HUGE strides as a spokeswoman.

Do you know any other 19 year-old spokeswomen for easy, breezy, beautiful Covergirl AND Chi Hair Products? Yeah… that’s what I thought.

3.       She claps back at her haters with less than 140 characters.

Julie Klausner thought it’d be funny to say that Zendaya was “starving herself as a retort to Guiliana Rancic” (who a lot of Zendaya fans still don’t particularly like). Zendaya’s response? “Do you find this funny? I’ll write another paragraph to educate you as well. #Youreallywannabenext?” Let’s not forget the time that she clapped back at everybody who tried to call her parents ugly, or talk about her hair, or say that she wasn’t ‘black enough’ to portray Aaliyah in that Lifetime movie…. The list literally goes on and on. Zendaya is not here for anyone’s hateration. It’s inspiring.

4.       She’s the first black woman to star in a lead role in a Marvel movie.

Not only is she taking on more serious roles ourside of Disney, but she’s literally making history while doing it.

5.       She was chosen to work with Missy Elliott, Janelle Monae, Kelly Clarkson, Lea Michele, Jadagrace, Chloe x Halle and Kelly Rowland on a new song, “This is For My Girls” as a part of First Lady Michelle Obama’s Let Girls Learn Campaign

Seriously speaking, does it get any cooler than working with The First Lady? Does it get any cooler than working on a song that features nothing but powerhouse female vocals? Yeah, I didn’t think so, either.

6.       Her confidence helps her pull off every look.

I have never seen anyone else do their own makeup for the Oscars, and slay. She has even gone on record and said that she does not wear makeup so that a guy can notice her highlight (as if they ever do), but because it makes her feel bomb (as it should). Combine that with her flawless wig style, and you’ll see why Zendaya’s already a style icon.

7.       She sampled TLC, and slayed it completely.

“Creep” by TLC is one of my all-time favorite 90’s songs, and her new single, “Something New” (featuring Chris Brown), samples this. If I thought no one could ever sample this song and make it sound better, clearly I underestimated Zendaya. You can listen to it here.

8.       She is carefree and uplifting in a world that tries to put girls down.

She retweets her followers, and calls them friends. She makes jokes, and isn’t afraid to be on Snapchat in a mud mask. She exudes black girl magic, carefreeness, and all around glow. Zendaya is honestly one of the few celebrities I want to truly be best friends with, because I think she is such a genuinely sweet, down-to-earth person.

Look, if Zendaya’s not your cup of tea, that’s fine. But no one can deny that for a 19 year-old black woman, she is making a lot of waves. She makes me feel like as a young woman, there’s nothing I can’t accomplish, and everything I haven’t discovered. I can’t think of a better way to get through Women’s History Month, and the rest of the year too.

Photo credit: 12, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8

Darin Kela is a junior at the University of Central Florida. She is majoring Advertising & Public Relations and has a minor in Dance. She is a huge fan of Zendaya, and is obsessed with natural hair. She enjoys listening to R&B music and silently choreographing to every song that plays through her earphones. When she's not in class or hanging out with RUKUS Entertainment on campus, you can catch her re-watching A Different World on Netflix or her favorite beauty tutorials on Youtube. Follow Darin's journey on Instagram & Twitter.
UCF Contributor