Zayn Just Proved That He is Definitely Not in One Direction Anymore

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCF chapter.

Unless you have been living under a rock that is located in cave at the bottom of the ocean, you have probably heard about or seen Zayn’s new music video for his song “Pillowtalk.” This music video has everything: a famous supermodel, another model with spikes on her face, subtle drug use, broken electric guitars, screaming, blood tears. He even *gasps* says the F word! Overall, this particular music video sends one message loud and clear: My name is Zayn and I want to disaffiliate myself with One Direction as much as possible.

This is the Zayn that I think that we all knew was there. Now that he has officially gone solo he can feel free knowing that he doesn’t have to adhere to One Direction’s branded image that is marketed towards the tween crown. He can drop f-bombs, make out with his model girlfriend and show naked ladies boxing.

The thing about this music video that is striking (aside from the naked ladies boxing) is that it is done so well. It takes a very artistic and aesthetic approach to sexuality that is refreshing. It could have all gone so wrong, but instead it went so right. Zayn doesn’t underestimate the intelligence of his fans and includes metaphors and symbolism. I mean, I’m pretty sure that we can all figure out what that strategically placed flower between the girl’s legs means.

If this what the “new” Zayn is going to be like, then I can’t wait to see what’s to come. His new song is definitely different that the songs that he made with One Direction, but its feels a lot more authentic. Zayn, you officially have a new fan. 

Bye Bye 1D…

Photo credit: Image 

Jillian James is a senior at the University of Central Florida. She is majoring in Writing and Rhetoric and minoring in Mass Communication (because apparently you can’t minor in Beyoncé studies). Her favorite food is free because she is a college student and the two loves of her life are Ben and Jerry (of Ben and Jerry’s ice cream fame). If she’s not writing or reading she is probably watching The Office or waiting in line at Starbucks. She loves to show off her dance moves in “inappropriate” places like the grocery store. You can follow her on Twitter and Instagram @Jillianrosej, where she frequently posts things that make people think that she has her life together. 
UCF Contributor