This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCF chapter.

Rushing through yik yak

With a hardy new iphone 6

O’er the social media we go

Gossiping all the way

Likes on my phone ring  

Making my phone bright  

What fun it is to post and like  

A social media song tonight!

It is hard to keep up today with all the latest apps, but this latest one has taken over high schools and colleges everywhere. On facebook anything you post about is instantly connected to you. When you like someone’s status for instance that person will instantly know that for that brief amount of time you were on their page. Same goes with Instagram there is no such thing as creeping on someone’s post anonymously. Atleast there wasn’t for a while. Yik Yak instantly was all kids began to talk about only a few weeks ago. It suddenly was a possibility to like, or dislike what somebody said on social media. Being critical of someone after all is much easier when you can do it anonymously. Yik Yak is a place where you can criticize teachers, classes, or even call that girl across the parking lot hot. It is a magical place where students have now found a place to truly speak freely.

Yik Yak can also be quite informative. It can let you know to stay away from parking garage H in the morning or keep you from walking up to the stair masters in the gym, which most of us know is always occupied. In the case of one student in Tennessee it even got his brother a load of kids to donate blood for his blood transfusion when he posted about it on Yik Yak. Yik Yak, like all social media, does have its ups and downs. One thing that is for certain is that it does get messages onto the phones of thousands of students daily in a very short span of time.

Top Yik Yaks Around Me Right Now:

“If you’re reading this I am beautiful”

“Getting gas at Wawa for 2.80 and driving home to see every other gas station selling their gas at 2.83. Score!”

“Honestly, there is nothing sexier than a girl who isn’t afraid to eat on a date. If you want a big greasy burger, order one. Don’t starve yourself with a salad.”  (Preach!)

“I LOVE GETTING COZY ON COLD NIGHTS”

“I wonder if my neighbors can hear my roommates and I scream when we watch TWD”

WARNING: Despite Yik Yaks sudden popularity recently it actually made its debut in 2013. Since then it has not only one of the top places where one can cyber bully but, it is also a place to leave false terrorist reports. So be smart what you do on this app. It may be considered harmless fun to you but it is considered bullying nonetheless. Some schools have even gone as far as banning the app on school grounds in general. Don’t let that be the case here at UCF because lets be honest all of us love Yik Yak!

UCF Contributor