Culture > Digital

You Should Join Facebook Groups — Here’s Why

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCF chapter.

Almost everyone has a Facebook account these days, and yet, a lot of college-age adults I know aren’t in any Facebook groups. No matter where you live or what niche topic you’re into, there’s probably a Facebook group out there for it.

I first started joining these groups in high school. I’m vegan, and I wanted to see if I could find any resources online for vegan food near me. I stumbled upon a Facebook group for vegans in my city. People asked questions, shared restaurants they loved, and posted recipes. It was a great resource and helped me find small businesses in my city that I wouldn’t have known about otherwise. I’ve since moved to Orlando and found a similar Facebook group here that has helped me a lot.

It can be hard to find people in real life that share your interests, and that’s something I’ve always struggled with. I love that in this digital age, it’s so easy to find people who share your passion for something. Communicating with people online is also a lot easier for me than in person.

I’m in so many Facebook groups since there is one for almost anything. Sometimes I’ll just search for a random topic I’m interested in to see if there’s a group for it, and usually, I find one. It’s such a cool way to become involved in a community, and you can make friends from all over the world.

Anna Schultz-Girl Using Laptop On Bed
Anna Schultz / Her Campus

I’m a member of the Facebook group for my area, and it has been great to be able to keep up with local news that’s not covered by the popular media. If an accident happens or a road is closed for construction, someone will post about it. It’s a great way to stay informed about what’s happening in your community.

I’m a big fan of groups where people post pictures of their pets, too. I’m a huge cat person, and sometimes when I’m sad or stressed out I love to go to those groups to see everyone’s cute animals. I’m also a big theme park fan, and there are so many groups dedicated to theme parks like Disney and Universal.

I’ve even found housing through a Facebook group. I joined a housing group for my college and I was able to find a bedroom for rent. These kinds of groups are a great resource for apartment hunting since you can ask what apartment complexes people recommend. I’m currently in the process of trying to find my next apartment so I’ve been turning to these groups for suggestions.

Even if you just want something silly to laugh at, there are so many meme groups for a variety of subjects. One of my favorites is a Twilight meme group that always makes me laugh. 

I think that these groups can be a fantastic way to make friends and get information. There’s a whole world of random Facebook groups out there, and I encourage you to check them out.   

Aviva Bush is a senior at the University of Central Florida studying advertising and public relations. She loves social media, theme parks, and fashion.