Why You Don’t Have to Belong to Anyone Else

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCF chapter.

I’m tired of hearing all of my friends complain about how they NEED a relationship. Don’t be the type of girl who “needs” someone to make her happy. You don’t need someone to complete you, you’re already a whole.

The truth is that everyone loves to have that person that you know will be there after a long day. This does not mean that you have to rely on them for your own happiness. It’s amazing when that one person comes along that just seems to make everything fit into place. It’s just too bad that that you’re already a finished puzzle, adding more pieces won’t make the picture any more beautiful.

Let’s look at it this way…

Let’s say that you’re a bowl of ice cream and your bae (ew I hate that word) is the sprinkles that go on top. Of course it’s satisfying having more in your bowl but having a lack of sprinkles doesn’t make the ice cream any less appealing. (Girl you know you would still eat the whole thing.)

You both should COMPLIMENT each other, not COMPLETE each other.

On the other side of things, you should respect yourself enough to be able to walk away from things and relationships that don’t make you the happiest you can be. It’s not selfish to put yourself first sometimes. We all have that friend who is in an extremely toxic relationship but they can’t just seem to let go. If you happen to be this friend, just know that you deserve to live life without having to constantly text your best friend about yet another problem you and your boyfriend are having.

It’s easy to look at couples in public or even couples on social media and automatically feel jealous of them. That’s completely normal and it’s OK to keep doing so. Focus on yourself first and make sure that you love the person you are before adding someone else into the equation. Set your own goals and then maybe one day you can work on them together. Give and take is part of any relationship, but know that you do not have to settle.  

At the end of the day, remember that you just have to do you. This could be with or without someone by your side. Believe it or not, that imagnary timeline that everyone likes to believe exists, is actually all apart of our imagination. You don’t have to rush things. Work on being the somebody that you strive to be and embrace all that you have to offer. 

Photo Credit: 1,2,3

Nicole is a sophomore at UCF studying Entertainment Management (her Hogwarts letter unfortunately never arrived). When she is not at Chick-fil-a or Chipotle, you can find her gossiping to her friends about all of the latest celeb drama. This concert enthusiast can also be found in the very front of every concert, because front row is the only way to go. Her favorite color is Niall Horan's eyes and her worst fear is Harry Styles cutting his hair (update: the lucious locks have been cut and Nicole is currently in hiding). Her secret husband Justin Bieber would describe her as a fun, cat loving soul, who loves adventure a little too much. 
UCF Contributor