This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCF chapter.

Most of us don’t begin to think about what we want to study in college until it comes time to apply during our senior year. I mean, how are we even expected to know what we want to be? Most people are only exposed to a handful of jobs during their adolescence. When we’re kids, we want to be astronauts and cowboys. When we’re teens, we want to be doctors and firefighters. Little do we know there are actually hundreds of thousands of different careers we can actually pursue.

In my opinion, we should’ve had a program in high school where schools prepared us to make this big decision; a program where they expose us to a variety of careers and give us hands-on experience with guest speakers who are currently pursuing the highlighted career to share their personal experiences.

Without a proper program in practice, most students struggle to pick and stay with a major in college. When you first get accepted you’re required to pick a major before starting classes, and after two years you must claim this major. This is because, by this time, you’ve most likely completed your prerequisites and are starting to get into classes that are more focused on your major. This is the point where most students begin to question whether their major is for them. After all this time and now is when you question it because you start to learn about what your career choice actually entails. Changing your major can be a difficult and scary time. If what you first chose wasn’t for you then what should I study instead?

Now, this doesn’t apply to all students. Some know exactly what they want to be and they get through their four years with it in mind. But, I’ve come across people who have or are thinking of switching majors more than I thought I would. This is because I too am considering changing my major and I began asking my peers around me for advice. Some made the switch early, others more recent. I’ve even heard of a few who have switched it multiple times. It’s difficult trying to choose what you want to do for the rest of your life. You’re scared you won’t make enough money or that you won’t like what you do. But it’s all a part of life. It’s something most people go through and you shouldn’t feel alone.

There are plenty of celebrities who went to college and got degrees and didn’t end up using them towards their career. Personally, I am studying forensic science and am possibly thinking of switching to marketing. I grew up knowing that changing my major would be OK because my dad went to school and got a degree in hotel hospitality, but it wasn’t until he got his job with that degree that he realized it wasn’t for him. So, he went back to school and got a degree in computer science.

Everyone has their own paths in life and we can’t compare ourselves to others. If you’re not happy then don’t be afraid to make that change.

Lauren Sheehan is a Junior studying Forensic Science at the University of Central Florida and this is her first year writing with Her Campus. She was born and raised in Miami, Florida so she evidently loves the beach and sunny days! She also loves going to the gym, hanging out with friends, and listening to music.