Style > Beauty

Why Scrunchies Are Superior to Hair Ties in Every Way

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCF chapter.

I am quite possibly the biggest fan of scrunchies on the planet. You can ask any of my friends about it and they’ll confirm that I’m not kidding — I really do wear scrunchies all the time. Why, you ask? Because they’re the best in every conceivable way. They can take a bad hair day and instantly turn it into a cute hair day. Shockingly, the scrunchie is often scoffed at for being childish or outdated. If you’re in that camp, I bet I can change your mind and convert you to the scrunchie lifestyle by the time you finish this article!

Let’s start with the most obvious reason scrunchies are superior: they’re comfortable. I know I’m not the only one who gets a headache from wearing a hair tie for hours. Guess what? Scrunchies don’t give you headaches. They also don’t rip out your hair like hair ties can, and they’re way less likely to cause breakage. Why on earth would you use a painful, boring hair tie when you could use a soft, comfortable scrunchie?

Besides the comfort factor, scrunchies are also ridiculously versatile. You want to wear a high ponytail? Grab a scrunchie and give it a little pop! You want to make your top knot less boring? Put a scrunchie around it — instant increase in cute factor.  You want to wear your hair down, but don’t want to style your bangs? Put your hair half up, half down with a scrunchie. The options are endless. Trust me, I’m an expert in scrunchie styling. Plus, you can find a scrunchie in every style and every color for every outfit!

“But Nicole, scrunchies are so 1987. I want to be hip and happening, not lame and square!” Actually, reader, scrunchies are timeless — that’s a scientific fact. Even if they weren’t, the 80s are back in style anyway. High-waisted jeans? 80s. Jean jackets and skirts? 80s. Leggings and baggy shirts? 80s as heck. I hate to break it to you, but you’re surrounded by 80s fashion. You might as well just hop on the train and embrace the scrunchie in all of its vintage and versatile glory. 

By now you must be convinced that scrunchies are the superior hair accessory. They’re comfortable, versatile, and cute. What more could you possibly need? Toss your hair ties in the trash and live the scrunchie lifestyle — you won’t regret it! Your hair will thank you too; say goodbye to headaches and breakage! And if anyone ever gives you grief for your scrunchie, channel your inner Stephanie Tanner (aka the queen of scrunchie style):

Nicole is a graduate of the University of Central Florida with a Bachelor of Arts in advertising/public relations, a Bachelor of Arts in political science, and a minor in writing & rhetoric. She has been involved with Her Campus for four years and served as the editor-in-chief of the UCF chapter for two years. She's a lover of 80s music, horror movies, and the Oxford comma. If she's not hanging out with her cat, Stevie — named after Stevie Nicks for obvious reasons — she's probably at a theme park. If you want to follow her on social media, you can find her on Instagram, Twitter, and at her blog: nicoleelisabeth.com!
UCF Contributor