Why Every Taylor Swift Album is The Best

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCF chapter.

If you’re a huge Taylor Swift fan, then you must be on Taylor Swift TikTok. It’s full of people bashing her exes, talking about their favorite songs and ranking her albums. If you’re anything like me, you’ve tried to rank her albums before but realize that it’s very difficult to do. Personally, I believe it’s nearly impossible to rank her albums from best to worst because they’re all amazing in different ways. Let’s dig into why each of her albums is truly incredible.

Taylor Swift (Debut)

People are so quick to put this album towards the bottom of their list unless they’re an avid country fan. This album doesn’t deserve the hate it gets. It’s truly such a special album that reminds you of being in high school and being in love. Songs like “Our Song,” “Should’ve Said No” and “Teardrops On My Guitar” are so different than the songs that she sings now, but they’re perfect songs for karaoke with your friends. If Taylor Swift doesn’t make you want to buy a pair of cowboy boots and move to Tennessee then you have to listen to the songs again because they’re classics and essential songs to any Taylor lover’s ultimate playlist.

Fearless

Fearless is one of Swift’s transitional albums as I like to call it. She’s beginning to stray away from her country roots and trying a more pop type of vibe with this album. It has so many iconic songs including “Love Story,” “You Belong With Me” and “Fifteen.” Even Taylor Swift haters know all the lyrics to “Love Story.” This album is so light and really gives you the nostalgia of being in high school again. Fearless is such an amazing album — just make sure you’re listening to Taylor’s Version.

Speak now

Speak Now is a fan favorite of Swift’s albums. Most fans are patiently waiting for her to drop Speak Now (Taylor’s Version). Some of the songs you should have on repeat from Speak Now include “Back to December,” “Dear John” and “Haunted.” This album is truly when you see Swift’s talented writing abilities shine through. Although her lyrics are always able to describe exactly how you’re feeling about something or someone (crazy how she can do that). The songs in this album are just different. You know when a Speak Now song is being played by the way these songs are written. From a song that makes you long to be a kid again like “Never Grow Up” (pro tip: don’t listen to this song the night before you move into your dorm freshman year) to songs that make you want to scream at any man that walks past you like “Better Than Revenge.” This album is top tier.

red

Red is an album that introduced so many people to Taylor Swift. When Red (Taylor’s Version) dropped in November 2021, it gained so much popularity and the songs on it completely took over Tiktok, as well as most social media platforms. Her song “All Too Well (10 Minute Version) (Taylor’s Version) (From the Vault)” is exactly what everyone needed to hear to end off 2021. Even if you have never had a significant other, it makes you want to scream at any man that has done you wrong. Some amazing songs in this album include “Treacherous,” “I Almost Do,” “The Last Time” and, of course, “All Too Well.” Red has helped change Taylor Swift haters to full fans.

1989

This album is another one that’s very different than her normal style of writing. It’s normally put to the bottom of people’s lists but it’s so unique and special. Some of her most popular songs include “Style” and “Wildest Dreams.” It has gained popularity because of many speculating some songs are about her ex-boyfriend, Harry Styles. As most Taylor fans are also Harry fans, you won’t listen to the songs in 1989 when you want to hate on your ex. This album is very happy and upbeat — and a great album to listen to in the summertime.

reputation

Reputation is an album that is either at the top of your list or at the bottom. It was released after the Kanye West drama that Taylor Swift went through and the hate she got after the VMA Awards. Even if the songs are seen as overplayed or corny, the struggles that Swift went through while writing this album and the constant hate she was given for no reason are reasons in itself for you to support this album. Songs like “Don’t Blame Me,” “Getaway Car” and “New Years Day” are what make this album so amazing. This album goes to show that Swift is not a little country artist that can’t express her own opinions.

lover

Lover is always looked at as the album about love because of its cheery and upbeat songs, but this album really covers so many issues in this world. One of the songs that stands out the most to me is “The Man.” It was released after her sexual assault case in 2017. Being a strong female artist that isn’t afraid to show her opinion is very inspiring to all the young girls that listen to Taylor Swift, but, to many misogynistic people, she’s seen as a threat. Her song “The Man” explains that if she was a man, she wouldn’t have to deal with the amount of hate she receives just because of her gender. This album is also her first album that she completely owns the rights to. Lover is such an amazing album and the song “Lover” is the perfect wedding song.

folklore

Folklore is another of Taylor Swift’s monumental albums. It was one of the first ones of her new style. The songs are delicate and poetic. Each of the songs on this album is beautifully written and it’s the perfect winter album. The vibes of it are so soft, but when you really listen to the lyrics you realize how good Swift is at making simple things sound so beautiful. Folklore is 100% a no skip album.

evermore

Like Folklore, Evermore is another one of Swift’s new style albums. It’s poetic and beautifully written. I think that although Folklore and Evermore are seen as sister albums, they’re different in so many ways. Evermore has a little bit of a country vibe to some of the songs. It’s such a beautiful album and it’s so commonly overlooked because it was released so close to other albums.

Overall, Taylor Swift is such a talented artist but also an amazing role model for so many of her fans. She incorporates real-life issues into her songs as well as giving you some of the most popular and no skip albums of all time. People may have their opinions, but truly every one of Taylor Swift’s albums is unique and perfect in its own way.

Emily Padgett is a sophomore at UCF. Her major is Political Science and Criminal Justice with the Prelaw track. She is from Tampa, Florida. She enjoys working out, reading books, and having a nice night in with friends. She is a huge fan of lifestyle Youtubers and blogs. In the future she wants to graduate law school with her PHD as well so she can retire and teach Constitutional Law at a university.