This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCF chapter.

Ever since I was young, I’ve always wanted a dog. I remember begging my parents for a dog each year, only to find out that they didn’t share the same love for the idea of having a four-legged friend running around the house. After finally exhausting all attempts of getting a dog, I came to the conclusion that I would get my own dog when I started making what they called “big boy” money.

Fast forward 7 years — I met my wonderful boyfriend, who coincidentally enough wanted a dog as much as I did. My most vivid memory is of him browsing through Pet Alliance’s website, looking at all the available dogs to adopt. Little did I know that just after days of perusing the site, he had finally set his heart on one very special dog.

His name was Shadow — a rottweiler, chow-chow and pit mix — and his picture on the website did not do him justice. He is and always will be one of the most precious dogs I have ever met in my life. I won’t forget the first time I met him. He jumped on me immediately upon opening his crate. He not only made it a point to startle me, but proceeded to show me that he was the kind of dog that loved to lick your hands, and even your face if you would let him. With that being said, even though I only visit my boyfriend on weekends, Shadow has managed to be there for me more than I could ask for, and the best part is that he doesn’t even know it.

Throughout the past year and a half, Shadow has been my best friend, my mentor, and the peace that I’ve been seeking for a long time. At times where I’ve felt the loneliest, Shadow made an effort to cuddle next to me. During the times where I wanted to cry, Shadow let me hug him and tried to lick the tears off my face. When I wanted to scream my lungs off, Shadow listened to me rant and sat patiently by my side. Shadow has changed my life. I’ve never felt judged by him, and I’ve never felt neglected by him. I love him with all of my heart. Thank you, Shadow, for being the best boy ever.

Manisha is currently a student at the University of Central Florida studying finance. She loves all things sweet and artsy. If she's not stuffing her face with the colorful ice cream or drawing pictures of her cat, then she's probably reading all things astrology or singing her heart away to all of her favorite R&B artists. Her dream is to be a CEO and have her own beauty brand focusing on natural, clean products that will transform the beauty industry!