This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCF chapter.

I have been in a relationship with the same guy for the past two and a half years. While there is such a deep love you get from knowing someone for so long, it’s not all romance all the time. And that’s to be expected. You hear all the time about people losing that honeymoon phase, and that is where Valentine’s Day comes in. Before I get started, I want to make one thing clear: VALENTINE’S DAY SHOULD NEVER BE THE ONLY DAY IN THE YEAR THAT YOUR PARTNER SHOWS YOU THAT THEY LOVE YOU. 

The conversation of the whole day revolves around love, love, and more love! There is no other holiday that circulates around showing the people in your life how much you cherish them. And I think there is something so beautiful about that.

On that note, there are some people who absolutely hate Valentine’s day and to each their own. But there are three times a year that I buy flowers and chocolate and a romantic card for my boyfriend: his birthday, our anniversary, and VALENTINE’S DAY!! There is nothing I love more than showing my boyfriend how much I care about him with little romantic gestures. And Valentine’s Day is FULL of little romantic gestures. 

Another AMAZING thing about Valentine’s day is that we get to dress up and go out on the town for dinner. Don’t get me wrong, my boyfriend and I go out to eat quite a bit. But there is something so freaking fun about getting all dolled up for your person to take you out for a romantic dinner. 

Romance is super important to me in relationships, and the fact that there is a day dedicated to bringing in some romance couldn’t be more perfect for any relationship. While there isn’t a single relationship in this world that can just survive on romance, there are very few that can survive without it. 

Like I said earlier, there is something called the honeymoon phase. And while it does have some truth to it, not all relationships have to lose that spark. I know to some, two and a half years may not seem like that long to be with someone, but you get to know people pretty well when you’ve been dating them for that long. You learn all their quirks, their dreams, what makes them laugh, what makes them upset. It is for this reason that people outgrow that honeymoon phase. In certain relationships, however, (mine included) it is when you know your person to the depths of their soul that you still take the time to sweep them off their feet so that spark of romance stays. 

So take your boo out to dinner. Buy them flowers. Write them a cheesy love note telling them every single reason you care for and appreciate them. Give them kisses every morning and night. Do little favors for them. I love Valentine’s Day because it reminds us to take the time out of our busy schedule to spoil the one we love. 

Images 1 2 3

I am currently a senior at my beloved University of Central Florida! I am majoring in early childhood education, and I hope to one day teach kindergarten. I also hope to start a blog about my teaching shenanigans down the road. For now, I spend my days reading, exploring the theme parks, and enjoying all that my city beautiful has to offer! I love dogs, The Office, and long walks on the beach.
UCF Contributor