What Employers are Looking For

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCF chapter.

As college students, finding a job can be a daunting task. We automatically think that a beefy resume is what a future employer wants: lots of experience and recommendations from previous employers. Luckily for us, because oftentimes we don’t have enough years behind us for our experience list to carry us, employers really are actually looking for something more. Read on to find the reasons behind what Careerbuilder.com says employers are looking for.

1. Ability to be a long-term employee

What employers really need from you is the potential for you to stay with the company for a long amount of time. They have to believe you could succeed there and be content there for as long as possible. They are looking to build a company, and that means they don’t want to be hiring and teaching new people all the time. Showing you’re dedicated and willing to put in the time and effort is a good way to prove that you’re willing to try it for the long haul. Also, asking questions about the future of the company is good, because it says you may want to stay long enough to find out.

2. Ability to work well with others

In order for a company to succeed, the employees need to be able to rely on each other. There are very few jobs where you work solely by yourself and don’t need to interact with your colleagues. Showing that you are willing to be both respectful and generous with your colleagues will make them feel like you will be a good addition to the team instead of one that tears it apart.

3. Ability to make money

It goes without being said that revenue is the sole purpose of most businesses. If you can show them that you being on the staff will benefit them, they will certainly be interested in hiring you. If you have numbers to give them or a story about a project you worked on where they gained customers because of your idea, make sure to share it at the interview.

4. A good resume

While there are many other things you can do besides having a good resume, this still makes it pretty high on the Careerbuilder.com list, so it should remain a priority. The resume is often the first thing a potential employer sees, so make sure it reflects you in a good light. They recommend piling on the references.

5. Experience in the field

Experience working or interning is always better than none at all; experience in the particular field you plan on applying for is best. Your experience at Pizza Hut and the job of being a copy editor are so varying that they may not feel you are ready. If you wrote for the campus paper and then applied for a job as copy editor, they may be more interested because now they know you are capable of similar tasks and they won’t have to start from the beginning with you.

6. Ability to problem solve

There are some things that cannot be taught, and being able to roll with the punches is one of them. Employers want you to be able to adapt to any changes and fix and problems that may arise. Again, it’s about not having to take time out of moving forward to go back and watch over someone who needs help solving simple problems.

7. Online presence

Nowadays, your online presence is an increasingly important factor in being hired. Whether it’s the amount of people you have the ability to reach due to social networks or if it’s the amount of good or bad press you could cause a company…all of it depends on your profiles and blogs online. Employers also can check your Facebook or Twitter when hiring you, so make sure there is nothing you wouldn’t want them to see, especially during that time.

8. Ability to multitask

Another thing that cannot be taught, but can be practiced, is multitasking. Especially when you are new, tasks may come pouring in every day and you will probably have to get them done in a timely fashion. Employers want to see that not only can you get them all done without becoming flustered, but that you can still complete each one effectively. Careerbuilder.com recommends that you volunteer for extra jobs, so your employer knows you can and are willing to take on more.

9. Enthusiasm

Having a positive attitude and being in a good mood at work show that you like and appreciate your job. Doing this will make it easy for colleagues and customers to work with you. It is also important that you show initiative in your job. Bring ideas to the table or do something before you are asked, because that is certainly going to get you recognized and possibly promoted.

10. A good fit in the company

Companies hire people based on this one factor many times. Even if you have all the other nine points down, you may not get the job simply because you would not fit in well with the other employees. They do not want any clashing going on or people that cannot handle that particular environment because that will significantly slow down progress. Make sure to make it clear why you fit in with the company and let some personality come through, so that potential employers are sure to get a good grasp on your character before they draw any conclusions.