What Brock Turner’s Case Means for Sorority Women

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCF chapter.

Remember Brock Turner? The boy who was caught raping an unconscious woman behind a dumpster? On Friday was released from prison and is free once again. His charges carried the possibility of a 14-year prison sentence. He only served three months of a ridiculously short six-month sentence and was released for “good behavior.”

My heart is so heavy and sad. As women, and as people in general, our bodies are sacred. We must live in our skin every single day, and to know that you were assaulted takes a physical and emotional toll.

Brock Turner is not just one person. He represents years and years of men taking advantage of women with little to no repercussions. He represents white men taking more than their fair share while women and minorities suffered.

Let’s let Brock Turner be the last man that gets away with this. As a woman in a sorority, it is my responsibly to look out for my sisters, make sure they are safe, and step in when I see dangerous behavior. College is supposed to be a lighthearted and fun time in our lives, but things can get out of hand quickly. 

According to the National Panhellenic website, over 4.8 million women are members of sororities all across the country. The incident happened at a fraternity party. The victim was not assaulted because she drank too much. She was not assaulted because she gave off a certain “vibe.” She was assaulted because a boy took advantage of her. We should never have to feel unsafe at a party or social event. The culture needs to change from the inside out, not the outside in.

This is where we step in. As women in sororities, we have an incredibly loud and powerful voice that we can put to use. We can make other women in our chapters and in our Greek community aware of sexual assault and open a dialogue. We can point out and actively stop sexist, rude, or dangerous behavior at parties.

It’s not a lot to ask to be treated with dignity and respect. We should be allowed to have fun without fear. That is an inherent right anyone should have, man or woman. Sexist behavior will only continue if we allow it to continue.

Let’s look out for each other and love one another. If you see anyone in a dangerous situation, then act.  We can no longer be bystanders, we need to be advocates and protect each other.

And to Brock Turner I say this: You didn’t just commit rape. You committed murder. Your victim came to that party as one person, and later when she woke up in the hospital her old self was gone forever. She will always carry the knowledge that she was assaulted. All because of you.

Jillian James is a senior at the University of Central Florida. She is majoring in Writing and Rhetoric and minoring in Mass Communication (because apparently you can’t minor in Beyoncé studies). Her favorite food is free because she is a college student and the two loves of her life are Ben and Jerry (of Ben and Jerry’s ice cream fame). If she’s not writing or reading she is probably watching The Office or waiting in line at Starbucks. She loves to show off her dance moves in “inappropriate” places like the grocery store. You can follow her on Twitter and Instagram @Jillianrosej, where she frequently posts things that make people think that she has her life together. 
UCF Contributor