This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCF chapter.

UCF Victim Services is presenting Eve Ensler’s award winning play The Vagina Monologues March 19 at 7 p.m. in the Pegasus Ballroom.

Now, if you’re like me a week ago, you have no idea what The Vagina Monologues is. Walking past the this poster, the title caught my eye and I immediately typed the name into my search bar.

First thing I learned, is that the play is in support of the movement to end violence against women and girls.

Reading about The Vagina Monologues, or as I mentally shortened it as, ‘Vag Mons’, had quickly taken over my day. The play is a compilation of monologues that all deal with “feminine experience” that are based on over 200 interviews.

We’ve all dealt with at least one of the awkward situations that are mentioned in the light hearted yet potentially life changing anecdotes.

From a girl’s first period to a sex worker’s experience, the monologues pretty much cover everything. EVERY topic any girl has ever wondered about including the tools that OB/GYNs use, is brought to light ‘Vag Mons.’ Reclaiming derogatory words associated with feminine body parts and feeling as though feminine body parts are ugly, are topics that girls NEED to hear and learn about.

Female empowerment is one of, if not the most important thing that girls of all ages need to embody and manifest. This year’s UCF production will be performed by eleven women and four men.

The tickets are free, but UCF Victim Services will be accepting donations for YAYA and V-Day which are both organizations that work to fix oppressive conditions for farm workers.

This Saturday, take time out of your night to become more knowledgeable about women and feminine issues. Even men can benefit from seeing ‘Vag Mons’ and will be able to more understand how women relate to their bodies and express themselves.

UCF Contributor