alexander sinn KgLtFCgfC28 unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
alexander sinn KgLtFCgfC28 unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Unsplash
Wellness > Sex + Relationships

Types of Guys You’ll Meet in the College Dating World

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCF chapter.

It’s spooky season and what’s spookier than dating in college? You might not think about it at first, but dating in college is a completely different ball game compared to dating in high school. Recently, I’ve been talking to a few of my friends about their dating stories. We came to the conclusion that there are a few types of guys you may meet in the college dating scene. Just like going pumpkin picking, you’re going to want to choose the right one.

1. The Older Guy 

This is the guy that you casually bump into on campus, he’s extremely helpful in giving you directions or advice in class. He’s finishing up his last few credits and is ready to graduate in the spring. He lures you in with how put together his life is (or so it seems). This is also the guy you believe you may not be able to get involved with because he’s graduating and you haven’t even remotely gotten yourself together. This doesn’t stop you from daydreaming about dating him though. 

men\'s fashion
Eliud Gil Samaniego on Unsplash

2. The Friend 

The Friend…could this be the worst one? You’ve only got a few close friends and yup, he’s one of them. He may profess his admiration for you, throw a few signals at you, and the only way you react is to question everything. Does he like me? Do I like him? If it works out or doesn’t, it’s always a difficult time getting to the point in understanding what you even feel. 

man and woman sitting on a bench
Alex Holyoake | Unsplash

3. The Dating App Fiasco  

You may not be the type but you’ve gotten to the point where dating apps seem a little less far-fetched. You make your profile, some cute pictures and an interesting bio later, now you’re swiping. You see a few guys and swipe hoping something will work out. Every time you go on a date it just does not seem to work out and you’re just going through the motions at this point. 

Unsplash

4. The Bad Boy 

There are different definitions of a “bad boy.” He could be the rule-breaker or maybe he’s the guy you can’t change. You get involved, his demeanor attracts you, then you realize this might’ve been a mistake. You can’t change his ways whatsoever, it could even be unhealthy. The bad boy may give you an adrenaline rush but if things go wrong he leaves you heartbroken. 

sad boy
@andrewtneel via unsplash

5. The Scholar 

In a similar way to the bad boy, the scholar leaves you feeling ignored sometimes. You meet him in class, he’s smart, charming, and extremely responsible. His focus is on school, which is understandable as most of us focus on school first. This guy though only focuses on school and leaves room for nothing else. While this isn’t entirely a bad thing, it’s sad for you. He only has time for his studies and not for you. 

person sketching on a white pad
Chance Centeno on Unsplash

6. *Possibly* The One 

Ah, yes. You’ve gone through trial and tribulation but here he is. You almost think he can read minds because he adds up to your dream soulmate. You see him from a distance but one day you manage to even mutter out a hello. Sooner or later things speed up, you’re holding hands and living the dream. You really hope it works out and that he is your version of the one.

All the Boys: P.S. I Still Love You
Netflix

Chelsea Velez is a senior majoring in journalism and double-minoring in creative writing & sociology. She spends most of her time writing, drinking coffee, and running around finding the latest story. She plans to become a well-known writer in whatever form that may be and inspire others through her content creation.