burgess milner OYYE4g I5ZQ unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
burgess milner OYYE4g I5ZQ unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Style

Trends on the 2020 Grammys Red Carpet

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCF chapter.

The best part of any awards show is always E!’s Red Carpet Special. Here, we get an up-close view of all of the show-stopping looks being served that evening. We all waited with anticipation to see what Lizzo, Billy Porter and Gwen Stefani would be wearing. Needless to say, they did not disappoint. This year I noticed a few trends as I watched everyone walk the red carpet.  

Nails

Long, lavish nails seemed to be very popular on this year’s red carpet. Some were bright, others were bedazzled, but they all made a statement. Billie Eilish stunned us with her green Gucci nails, designed to match not one but two Gucci suits! Rosalía brought us the glam we needed with her bedazzled silver nails. They were the perfect statement piece to go along with her stunning leather dress.

Crimson Suits

We all know Shawn Mendes can make anything look good. He was one of many that wore a crimson suit but he stood out because, well, have you seen him? This custom Louis Vuitton suit had all of our jaws dropping. Khalid also wore a crimson suit, but his was a bit different with a light blue button-up he paired with it. The only thing that could have made it better is if he wore it on stage and performed for us.

Next Level Ballgowns

Now, ballgowns are not a new trend. We see stunning ballgowns every year at every show. However, this year we saw a whole new level of ballgowns. Ariana Grande could have been Cinderella herself with her stunning tulle ballgown and opera gloves. We expected an iconic look, but she gave us even more. Someone else who blew us away in all of her outfits throughout the night was Lizzo! Her second look of the night was a breath-taking black sequined ball gown. In my opinion, it was one of the best looks of the night.

Honorable Mentions

There were a few looks that I could not leave unrecognized. First, Shania Twain’s perky pony and glamorous black dress…

Personal Favorite

…and my personal favorite look of the whole night: Lizzo’s red carpet dress. This was a true Hollywood glam moment unlike anything else we saw the whole night. The white furry shawl was the perfect complement to her gorgeous white dress. She stole the show with this one

What was your favorite look at the Grammys? There were so many iconic moments on the red carpet, it is hard to pick just one. Now, who’s ready for the Oscars?

Media: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Mandie is a Senior at the University of Central Florida. She is pursuing a degree in writing and rhetoric as well as a certificate in editing and publishing. To keep up with her, follow her on Instagram @mandiemccann.
UCF Contributor