Top Three Spring 2011 Hair Trends

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCF chapter.

This slicked back look is the easiest hairstyle for Spring 2011. Lucky for all of us, it gives girls with all lengths a chic and sexy spin. The sleek and polished texture can easily dress up plain ponytails.  But be sure not to repeat it too often and to wear it with confidence. The trick is simply to apply gel or lots of hairspray to already damp hair, so it’s perfect if you’re coming straight out of the shower. If you want to refresh day-old hair, you can do so by smoothing hair back with some high-shine pomade, like MOP’s Glisten, and twisting it up into a chignon. (Photo from Lanvin Fashion Show Spring 2011)

With this next trend, a little frizz is okay, but there is a fine line between that and looking like a complete fuzzball! This spring, extra-fluffy curls are in. The trick to having the curls look gorgeous is to brush out the ends of your curls (it doesn’t matter if they’re natural waves or courtesy of a curling iron) for that bouncy effect. Be sure to smooth flyaways on the top of your head with a side-swept part, a barrette, and a dab of styling cream. (Photo from Marc Jacobs Fashion Show Spring 2011)

From regular full-length braids to elaborate intricately woven knots, braids looked sophisticated (and not school girlish) on this season’s runways. As you might remember from last spring, a simple side-braid adds effortless elegance to your look. The trick, once again, is not to braid your hair too tight because loose braids look more romantic. If it’s the flyaways you’re worried about, those can always be kept in place with a spritz or two of hairspray down the length of the braid. (Photos from Valentino (left) and Alexander McQueen (right) at Spring 2011 Paris Fashion Week)

So which of the three will you sport this spring? Or will it be all three? My suggestion, be as daring as you want, it’s all about the confidence.