Top 5 Things a Girl Needs

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCF chapter.

You know that saying, “You don’t know what you got, till it’s gone?”  That type of thing?  Imagine where us girls would be if certain things that we find necessary, did not exist.  I can think of a million things, we would be lost without if they were never invented.  I narrowed down this never-ending list to what I felt are the 5 most important, essential tools for a girl to be, well, a girl.  These are in no particular order and if you haven’t used all 5 of these things at some point in your life, then I really have no idea how you survive. 

1.      High heels – The glamorous Marilyn Monroe said it best, “I don’t know who invented high heels, but all women owe him a lot.”  Yes, we do.  I’ve practiced wearing them since I snuck into my mom’s closet at age 4, and walked around the house wearing one of her pairs.  Something about them just makes you feel sexy and more beautiful – regardless if you’re now taller than your date or can no longer feel your feet.

2.      Tampons – Guys can be grossed out all they want.  I’m just glad I don’t live in the dark ages when they literally had to use rags.  Now, that’s gross.  Using another Marilyn Monroe reference, everyone knows her song, “Diamonds Are a Girl’s Best Friend.”  Well, I think Diamonds is the best friend you want to hang out with, but Tampons is that best friend that you’re stuck with.  The good news is she’ll always be there for you.

3.      Push-up bras – No matter what your bra size, this bra is your friend and comes in handy once in a while, if not a lot.  I think we’ve all figured out Victoria’s “Secret” by now, if you know what I’m saying.

4.      Mascara – If you have naturally long lashes then good for you.  If you don’t use mascara because of that, then that’s cool too.  However, every girl should definitely try it.  This make-up product works wonders.  If you’re feeling too lazy to apply your make-up, or have less than 5 minutes to do so, mascara is the number one thing that should be used first.   It brightens up your face and makes your eyes pop.

5.       Flat Iron – Girls with pretty, curly hair might not use one, but I’m sure there are times when they wish they did.  Having sleek, straight, non-frizzy hair is not hard to create for yourself with this tool.  Can you imagine if we all had to wear our hair naturally?  We’d all be walking around with ponytails, messy buns, and braids.  In other words, we’d look like tribal women.  All the time.  Not just on days when doing your hair isn’t an option.

The best part about these tools is they are specifically designed for girls.  With the exception of a few used by some gay men, I guess.  Either way, they were created to help us look and feel beautiful and at our best.  I don’t know about you, but I probably couldn’t go a full week without having to use one of these.  Nor would I want to either.