Top 5 Technologies All 90’s Kids Knew and Loved

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCF chapter.

Tech #1- Firefly Cellphone

This was most kids first phone. The reason that was is because it was a parents dream.  Kids could not add their own contacts. Oh no that was only something that the parents could do. You could only call a few select numbers. It’s no wonder that this cellphones popularity died out! What kid wants that when other phones now can be used like a gaming system.

Tech #2- Motorola Flip Razors

Razors at one point were all the cool fifth graders had! Mainly because it was one of the first cell phones to come in a fashionable color… Metalic Pink! It also was one of the first phones that fit basically anywhere. Girls now could just put a phone in their back pocket with ease. Parents still don’t like that today, but hey sometimes there’s just no stopping us!

Tech #3- Tamagotchi

Who can forget their first electronic pet! The egg shaped toy taught most of us how to care for something. After all the little alien looking species would cry none stop if it wasn’t fed on time, or wasn’t bathed. The toy even had a dating life. Tamagotchis still have a fan base today. Some older models are being sold for hundreds online today on Amazon which leaves me wondering why my mother allowed me to just toss those priceless little egg toys in the trash.

Tech #4- Juicy Couture/ Dwayne Wade Sidekicks

Sidekicks had to have been one of the first phones most of us had that made texting easy. You no longer had to hit one button three times to select one letter. There was actually a full keyboard! Not to mention it had a small opening on the top right side that girls could put a decorative hanging accessory through. When the Juicy Couture edition and white Dwayne Wade one came out there is no surprise that all kids were ready to set aside their flip phones. AIM was also just a quick download away on these phones which at that time was more popular than twitter and facebook combined!

Tech #5-Nintendo Game Boy SP

This may not have been the first gaming system, but it sure was an upgrade! The SP finally came with a front light so us kids could stay up past bedtime under our sheets playing the latest Pokemon games. Not to mention this toy seemed to live on forever. The battery took hours and hours to run out.

All in all technology has come a long way. Seems to me though the more advances they make in technology also the more fragile it has become. I mean how many people every had to take in any of these 5 things to have a screen fixed? Oh right, none!

Molly Slicker is a Human Communication major with a minor in Film. She is an entertainment junkie who appreciates good humor, good vocabulary and good friends. She gets way too attached to fictional characters and her favorite sports teams. She is inspired by her family, faith and the 2001-2002 cast of Saturday Night Live. Follow Molly on Twitter for mostly sarcastic updates about celebrities and her life's awkward situations or on Instagram for pictures of her feeble attempts at craftiness