Top 10 Worst Drinks in America

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCF chapter.

Even though Spring Break can’t stick around forever, we can make sure that those bodies we worked for can. This information came to me in an email from my Mom and the stats were just so disturbing I had to share with all of HC. It’s a scary reminder that what we drink is as important as paying attention to what we eat.

1. Worst Margarita

Traditional Red Lobster Lobsterita
If you’re out with your girlfriends for the night up at the Red Lobster in Waterford Lakes, avoid this drink at all costs. It has 890 calories and 183 grams of carbs. You could eat 7 Almond Joy candy bars for the same amount of carbs. Yikes!

2. Worst Hot Chocolate

Starbucks White Hot Chocolate with Whipped Cream (venti)
Even though the winter has come and gone we need to remember to never order this drink again. It clocks in with 520 calories, which doesn’t sound too bad until you see the sugar. 72 grams! That’s equal to nine Strawberry Rick Krispie treats. I’d opt for a non-fat latte instead.

3.Worst Espresso Drink 

Starbucks Peppermint White Chocolate Mocha with Whipped Cream (venti)
I’ve had this drink before. And most of you have or know someone who has. Let them know the venti has 660 calories and 95 grams of sugar, which is equal to eight and a half scoops of Edy’s Coffee Ice Cream. No matter how terrible my day is, I don’t think I’d ever consume that much ice cream.

4.Worst Bottled Coffee

Starbucks Vanilla Frappuccino
Usually when you’re running around and don’t have time to stop at a Starbucks, most stores carry this seemingly innocent bottled pick-me-up. It only has 290 calories. But wait until you read the sugar. 45 grams or 32 Nilla Wafters. Are there even that many in one box? 

5. Worst Energy Drink 

Rockstar Energy Drink
I see people drinking this all over campus. But what they don’t know is that the 62 grams of sugar they are drinking is equal to 6 Kripsy Kreme glazed donuts.

6. Worst Bottled Tea

SoBe Green Tea
Green tea is good for you right? Wrong. Unless you make it yourself from a tea bag and add your own sugar, beware. This ‘healthy’ alternative to soda isn’t healthy at all. Lower in calories, (240), the sugar is what is out of control. For the 61 grams of sugar you could eat 4 slices of Sara Lee Cherry Pie.

7. Worst Beer

Sierra Nevada Bigfoot (1 bottle)
We know that beer isn’t healthy, but how bad is it really? The nights we spend at World of Beer sampling different brews seem harmless. If you are counting carbs you might not want to read this. This beer has 330 calories and 32.1 grams of carbs. You could drink a 12-pack of Michelob Ultra instead.

8.Worst Soda

Sunkist (1 bottle)
It has oranges in it, so it makes it healthier than Coke… right? Wrong. The perception of fruit is just a mask for this sugary drink. With 320 calories and 84 grams of sugar, you should just go eat 6 Breyers Oreo Ice Cream sandwiches instead. If the calories and sugar aren’t scary enough, this drink also contains the artificial colors yellow 6 and red 40, which may be linked to behavioral and concentration problems in children. Double whammy.

9. Worst Smoothie

Smoothie King Peanut Power Plus Grape (large)
By now we’ve all heard that smoothies aren’t as healthy as we think. Peanut butter is a satisfying alternative to chocolate, but if you see these stats you’d be better off with a candy bar. This drink has 1,498 calories, 44 grams of fat and 214 sugars. You could eat 20 Reese’s Peanut Butter Cups instead. Gym anyone?

10. Worst Water

Snapple Agave Melon Antioxidant Water
We all get tired of drinking plain water and sometimes switch to the flavored low-calorie options. Just make sure you read the label. This drink is not an alternative to water. It’s packed with 33 grams of sugar and 150 calories. What you thought was healthy is now like eating two Good Humor Chocolate Éclair Bars.