Tips for Missing Your Best (Furry) Friends

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCF chapter.

My motto this semester has been “Do well in college so you can make a lot of money to adopt as many dogs as you want.” This is much easier said than done when your best 4 legged pals are miles and miles away. Saying goodbye to your furry friends is not an easy task. Although it’s not the same as being able to cuddle up with your baby, here are some tips for those of us that get homesick for those wagging tails.

1. Start volunteering at your local animal shelter! Volunteering is probably one of the best things you can do in this situation. Not only are you helping a cause you’re passionate about, but the majority of places will allow you to pet and play with the furry friends that are available for adoption. You’ll not only be cheering yourself up, but those animals will appreciate the love and attention they so badly need.

2. Join an animal oriented club! I joined a club called STEP, which is an organization that helps raise service dogs for Canine Companions for Independence. This (or any other animal related) club can gives many opportunities to interact with the animals. Service dogs are not the same as most of our pets back home, so not only is this a good time to get some puppy cuddles in, but you can educate yourself on another important cause, outside of typical adoption.

3. Rent-a-pup day! There are certain days on campus that an organization called Pet Rescue by Judy brings dogs on campus for students. For 10 minutes, UCF students are able to pet and play with a dog for no cost (but donations are always welcome). This is not only an awesome destresser from the college reality of exams and homework, but you’re giving love to an animal who does not have a home to give them constant attention. The next Rent-A-Pup day is November 9th from 12-3PM, but check Knight Connect for other dates.

4. Paws Events! In case you didn’t know, Bodhi is a white havanese pup who is a registered therapy animal through Therapy Dogs International. He has been a “staff member” for the past 2 years at UCF’s Counseling and Psychological Services (CAPS). A couple times a semester, there are “Paws & Purrs” events, where Bodhi and some other therapy animals will cuddle and give love to some lucky individuals. Bodhi has a Facebook page where you can keep track of when these events are.

5. Video chat your pets! I FaceTime my dogs at least once a month. It may sound slightly crazy, but it really does help to see them and hear them, even if you can’t be there with them physically. There are also special pet cameras that you can put inside your house that allow you to watch your pet from your smart phone. If you can’t video chat, even having a family member send you a picture of them will ease your stress (but warning – it may make you cry!)

I know it’s tough to leave your best friend behind (trust me, I left 3, pictured below), but just remember they’re okay and will always be waiting for you when you get home during the holidays. They miss you just as much (if not more than) you miss them. Just think of all the tail wags and licks on the face you’ll get when you finally come home!

Lauren is a senior at the University of Central Florida. She is pursuing a Legal Studies major and a Sociology minor. Her career goal is to be a guardian ad litem attorney for children in the foster care system. When she isn't blasting her music (Taylor Swift and Jake Miller primarly), you can find her bingewatching Shane Dawson Youtube videos or eating way too many french fries. She has 3 dogs who she loves with all her heart. She loves to volunteer with kids and animals. Her favorite (non domesticated) animal is a panda bear, her favorite colors are pink and blue, and she is pretty sure she's the next Disney princess. She's very politically involved and loves writing. Feel free to keep up with her on social media!
UCF Contributor