Tips And Styles For Braiding Hair

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCF chapter.

Looking for ways to change up your hairdo? Braiding is a great way to vary your style from day-to-day.

To some, braiding hair might be easier said than done. While braiding for first timers can be difficult, try not to get too frustrated! Patience will help you learn and get better at braiding. Here are two current braiding styles and some braiding tips that are simple to practice and learn!

Fishtail Braid

• Create a ponytail using a clear elastic band to help hold your hair in place.
  • Split the ponytail into two separate pieces.
  • Take a piece from the first side and pass it to the second side.
  • Next take a piece from the opposite (second) side and pass it to the first side.
  • Repeat these steps until you finish the braid.
  • Once the braid is completed, carefully cut the elastic band at the top.

Waterfall Braid

• Part your hair how you normally would and begin your braid on the right side of your part.
  • Grab the top section and divide into three strands.
  • Braid your strands regularly three times, beginning from the right strand.
  • When you get to the left strand, add more hair like a French braid and fold that strand to the center.
  • As you French braid your left strand (now center), drop the right strand and let it fall down.
  • Pick up another small section of hair next to where your original strand fell as your new right strand.
  • Repeat this process (French braid left, drop right strand, pick up new piece) and gradually cascade the style toward the middle of your head.
  • Once you’ve reached a comfortable point to stop your braid, secure to your scalp with bobby pins.

Tips to follow:

• Braiding the first few times can be challenging. Putting your hair in a ponytail is a great aid in practicing braiding.
  • Unless you want a messy braid, be sure to comb your hair so it has no knots.
  • Don’t get too frustrated! With time and patience, you’ll learn to braid flawlessly!