jonathan j castellon be8AmxavYp8 unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
jonathan j castellon be8AmxavYp8 unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

The Time I Got “Rejected”

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCF chapter.

The title may be a bit misleading, but all in all, it is true for the most part. As a little bit of a back story, there has been this guy. We started out as friends, but met through unfortunate circumstances. Think of a classic wrong place, wrong time scenario. I had been denying my feelings for him for a few months and putting them off because I knew it wouldn’t work out: there would be something about him, it would be that he didn’t want the same thing as me or it would ruin our friendship. I hadn’t told him how I felt and I wasn’t planning on doing so, but after a stressful week and a few drinks it all went downhill from there. I ran into him and to my dismay, I told him how I felt. The outcome was by no means what I was expecting. I was punching myself for even bringing it up in the first place, but wih some liquid courage and my already outgoing demeanor I couldn’t help myself. There were a lot of confusing things going on from a kiss to an admittance that we weren’t necessarily looking for the same thing. I will admit, it was disappointing. I wouldn’t say that I was rejected so much as put aside or reconsidered in a new light, but it was hard to hear that someone didn’t like me enough to date me and only me. 

I know for a fact that this is a normal occurrence in college. People come to college straight out of high school either ready to find someone to have an actual meaningful relationship with or to have fun and play the field while they figure out what they want to do with their life. Most of the time, people vote for the latter. Being someone who wants to have something of substance is hard in you early twenties and it’s even harder to find someone that feels the same way as you. It’s totally understandable to want to focus on yourself and not be stuck in a mediocre relationship, but it feels that people are so opposed to even trying that they avoid commtiment like the plague. In all honesty, I wanted to write this story to discuss the fact that people not wanting relationships in college is totally normal and that it’s not something to be taken personally. Sometimes it could be the wrong place at the wrong time, different personalities or lack of a connection. Sometimes, it is just that people don’t realize what they will be missing. Either way, everything happens for a reason and even though it may not be what we want we can rest assured that something else will come along down the road. 

No matter the circumstance, there is a way to deal with rejection or differing wants and it starts with you. Focusing on yourself and your goals will help you progress into the person that you want to be. Once you have found yourself and done all all of the amazing things that you want to do, then you can focus on what you want out of “relationship” of any sort. It’s also very true that once you stop looking, you will find what you didn’t know you wanted. Many times, the greatest things happen unexpectedly and people will come in and out of your life on a daily basis. You never know the outcome of a situation so don’t become too sullen, but don’t get too hung up on one instance. Keep trodding on and remember that you have more to offer than anyone could imagine and one day, the person that realizes that will be telling you this instead of me. 

UCF Contributor