3 Reasons You Should Watch ‘The Keepers’ on Netflix

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCF chapter.

As a huge fan of true crime documentaries, I knew I had to watch The Keepers the second it popped up on Netflix. The Keepers is about the still-unsolved murder of a Baltimore nun, Sister Catherine Cesnik, and it quickly spirals into a convoluted and enthralling examination of how the murder of Sister Cathy is likely just one string in a web of controversy still unresolved to this day. I won’t spoil anything for you, but I will give you three reasons why you absolutely should check out this amazing piece of documentary filmmaking as soon as you can:

The Keepers focuses on the victims of its story

Too often, true crime shows and movies tend to focus on the perpetrators (or suspects) of crimes. The Keepers does just the opposite: it gives its full attention to the victims. One of the main theories surrounding Sister Cathy’s murder involves her possible intention to blow the whistle on sexual assault occurring at the Catholic school where she taught. Although The Keepers analyzes several credible suspects for Sister Cathy’s murder over the course of the series, it never neglects to acknowledge and give a voice to the victims of the awful crimes committed at the school. Their strength in telling their stories is what really lies at the heart of The Keepers and what makes it such a compelling watch.

The two detectives at the center of the story are inspiring

Abbie Schaub and Gemma Hoskins are former students of Sister Cathy who have come together to bring her murderer to justice, and they serve as the investigative team at the heart of The Keepers. These two women are the epitome of strength and dedication — they pour over Baltimore records, chase after leads, and manage a Facebook page that serves as both a hub for the investigation and a community of survivors of sexual assault. The investigation into Sister Cathy’s murder would surely have stagnated many years ago if not for their tireless work, and it’s worth watching The Keepers for them alone.

You’ll be up all night theorizing about the murderer(s)

Although The Keepers never wavers in its deference to the victims of the crimes it describes, it also analyzes several suspects that could have been behind Sister Cathy’s death. These suspects include a priest with a history of sexual abuse, a disturbed neighbor, and even a man who claims he was once Sister Cathy’s secret lover. Mulling over all of these suspects is a good way to stay up all night, and don’t even get me started on scrolling through all of the theories on Reddit (spoiler warning)!

The Keepers is a remarkable documentary that, in my opinion, sets a new standard for true crime films and shows. It shines a light on a case that has been buried for so long, and in doing so it hopefully increases the chances the truth being revealed. Its respect for the victims of the crimes committed is admirable and should be the standard for all true crime documentaries. Do yourself a favor and check it out, because The Keepers is streaming on Netflix now! Be prepared to be inspired by Gemma and Abbie’s perseverance — but also be prepared to theorize for days!

Nicole is a graduate of the University of Central Florida with a Bachelor of Arts in advertising/public relations, a Bachelor of Arts in political science, and a minor in writing & rhetoric. She has been involved with Her Campus for four years and served as the editor-in-chief of the UCF chapter for two years. She's a lover of 80s music, horror movies, and the Oxford comma. If she's not hanging out with her cat, Stevie — named after Stevie Nicks for obvious reasons — she's probably at a theme park. If you want to follow her on social media, you can find her on Instagram, Twitter, and at her blog: nicoleelisabeth.com!
UCF Contributor