‘The Hunger Games’ Arrives Back in Theaters Ahead of the ‘Ballad of Songbirds & Snakes’ Prequel’s Release

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCF chapter.

The Hunger Games, yes that cultural phenomenon that got all of Gen Z thrilled with dystopian books and movie adaptions, is returning to theaters this month.

This record-breaking 2012 dystopian film written by Suzanne Collins is set to return to the big screen for two days, Sunday, Oct. 15, and Wednesday, Oct. 18, in preparation for the release of the long-awaited movie adaptation of its prequel The Hunger Games: The Ballad of Songbirds & Snakes. This short-lived return to theaters nationwide is presented by Lionsgate and Fathom Events with tickets available now at fathomevents.com. 

The Hunger Games features the nation of Panem built upon the ruins of what originally was North America where the Capitol forces 24 tributes, one male and one female from each of the 12 districts to fight to the death “in punishment for the uprising.” A twisted reminder from the Capitol that Panem’s residents are completely at their mercy, the Games are televised as a festivity where children are pitted against each other and must fight until a lone victor remains. Placed against many who are academy-trained to win these Games, Katniss has to rely on her own wit, instincts, and some help from her mentor, Haymitch, if she’s ever to return alive to her loved ones in District 12. What morally grey choices will she choose to make in the name of her survival? Will she walk away with a ravaged humanity as a direct consequence of the Capitol’s cruelty? 

Of course, this movie comes with a soundtrack with the likes of Taylor Swift, The Civil Wars, and a score by James Newton Howard among others. Our cast includes icons like Jennifer Lawrence (Katniss Everdeen), Josh Hutcherson (Peeta Mellark), Elizabeth Banks (Effie Trinket), Woody Harrelson (Haymitch Abernathy), Liam Hemsworth (Gale Hawthorne), Donald Sutherland (President Cornelius Snow), and Lenny Kravitz (Cinna).

According to Kevin Grayson, the current president of Lionsgate’s Domestic Production department, “There’s no better way to whet the appetite for The Hunger Games prequel than with the original Hunger Games“, and with such an unparalleled fan base, it seems the people agree.  

Official Trailer for The Hunger Games: The Ballad of Songbirds & Snakes

November 17 will mark the release of Lionsgate’s The Hunger Games: The Ballad of Songbirds & Snakes where fans will get to witness firsthand the 10th annual Hunger Games — 64 years before Katniss volunteered as tribute and prior to the start of Snow’s reign as President of Panem. The Hunger Games: The Ballad of Songbirds & Snakes will feature an adolescent version of Coronialus Snow as his family has fallen down the social hierarchy in a post-war Capitol and is forced to mentor Lucy Gray Baird, the tribute from District 12, in the 10th annual Hunger Games. Once he becomes aware of just how much she captivates the citizens of Panem, he believes she may be the key to shifting the odds in their favor. But, through what means will he go about this, and what is truly his end-game with anti-Katniss?

May the odds be ever in your favor and I’ll see you in theaters for the re-release and on Nov. 17 to witness whether President Snow will define himself as a songbird or a snake (spoiler alert: I think we know the answer to that one). 

For a complete list of participating locations for the re-release of The Hunger Games, click here!

Brianna is the Editor in Chief and Campus Correspondent for Her Campus UCF! She is studying English Literature and Political Science at the University of Central Florida. Brianna is a writer and creative focused on creating content and publications that promote empowerment among college individuals. She's a lover of Disney, reading a somewhat excessive number of books a year, any form of art expression, & the oxford comma.