A Thank You Letter to Mom on Mother’s Day

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCF chapter.

Dear Mom,

I just wanted to take some time to make a public announcement this Mother’s Day I thought I would let you and the rest of the internet know why you are the real MVP.

So, here’s some things that I would like to thank you for.

Thank you for being the cool mom. Not the mom who wears mom jeans, or pajamas and rollers in her hair in public. 

Thank you for teaching me how to dress myself. I’m confident that I also won’t be the mom that wears mom jeans, thanks to you. 

Thank you for being my cheerleader. As embarrassing as it was to hear you scream my name at shows and competitions growing up, I’m glad you were there. 

Thank you for cleaning up after me, from the time I was in diapers to yesterday when I left crumbs all over the counter.  

Thank you for dancing weird in public. Again, it was horrifying at the time, but now I understand where I get it from. 

Thank you for listening to me when I’m mad and upset and just want to yell at everybody. And for when that turns into tears, and you don’t mind that you’re covered in snot. 

Thank you for putting up with me when I was a brat in middle school. Good times, huh? 

Thank you for being a mom that knew how to cook food (even though sometimes you set the smoke alarm off when you use the oven). 

Thank you for bragging about me. It makes me happy to know you’re proud enough to tell the woman at the deli counter at Publix what I’m doing with my life. 

Thank you for liking every single thing I post to Facebook, two seconds after I post it. 

Thank you for being my chauffeur and driving me all over town before I could do it myself. 

Thank you for being the only person who pretends to enjoy listening to my nonsense problems and life struggles, like when I called you in outrage about Zayn leaving One Direction. 

Thank you for teaching me manners. Even though I may not use them all the time, I’m glad I know how to behave in public. 

Thank you for teaching me that it’s okay to sing at the top of your lungs even if you don’t know the words. You can absolutely make them up, and no one will notice, hopefully (not likely). 

Thank you for teaching me how to have fun, and not be boring.

Thank you for being the best shopping buddy, and showing me how to get a bargain. 

Thank you for sending me random emojis and texts saying you miss me. Miss you more. 

Thank you for always taking my side. All those times that I complained about how annoying that one girl was, you’d always offer to go and “teach her a lesson”…whatever that means. 

And thank you for giving birth to me. I wouldn’t be where I am now if you hadn’t. 

I love you Mama! I know raising kids probably isn’t easy, but I turned out okay, so you did a good job. So Happy Mother’s Day to my mom and all the other cool moms of the world!

Love your favorite daughter (admit it). 

UCF Contributor