Ten Things My Mother Taught Me

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCF chapter.

Like many of us already know, mothers have a very special place in their child’s life. They are one of the most, if not the most, influential people in the rearing of their children’s lives. That’s just it though, some say that mother’s only play a role in the earlier stages of their child’s life, and once college starts it’s so long “mommy,” and hello (insert mother’s first name here) “Jennifer,” (my mom’s name). Far too often, I over hear students repeatedly call their mothers by their first name, and one time in the union I heard a boy say, “I don’t really need my mom anymore.” I just couldn’t resist–needless to say, I turned around and said, “Yeah? So you’re saying that when you get sick, need advice, or have no idea how to fold a bottom sheet, you don’t EVER think it might be a good idea to call dear old mom?” Naturally, he was speechless.

So that made me start to think, and I went around asking numerous students, boys and girls, “If there was one pearl of wisdom your mother taught you that still holds true today, what would it be?” For instance, my mom always said two things: 1) life’s tough, get a helmet and 2) there are no accidents, everything happens for a reason.

So here’s what I got:

1.      Paint all your fake jewelry with clear nail polish: (Ortal Winer, sophomore)
We’ve all had that issue, especially when we were younger. I can remember buying tons and tons of Claire’s fashion accessories…and at the same time remember my mother scrubbing the greenish residue off my fingers and wrists. So next time you find some to die for earrings, rub some clear nail   polish over them so your ears don’t end up the same color as the Grinch!

2.      You can’t love truly love someone unless you love yourself: (Julia Hanusa, sophomore)
Cliché, yet 100% accurate. You can’t expect to fall in love with someone if you haven’t fallen in love with yourself. (Remember, there’s a difference between cockiness and confidence.) Try spending some quality time with YOURSELF. Learn what you like and what things could use some tweaking.

3.      People are never going to think the same way you think or react the same way you would: (Aleeza Novak, senior)
As much as we would love for it to be so, you see things one way and 9 times out of 10, the person you’re disagreeing with, sees it the other way. It’s life; we’re all different, any way you cut it. The key here is learning to accept other people’s reactions while at the same time learning more about them.

4.      Every time I leave my house, my mom always says, “Make good choices.” (Chris S, freshman)     
When you’re out with your friends, hearing your mom’s voice in the back of your mind really takes a toll on you. So the next time you’re faced with a tough decision, think of your mom in the back of your head…what would her advice be?

5.      Always test the car before you buy it: (Lauren Michelle, junior)
If you’re at a car dealership buying a new ride, you should definitely take it for a test drive, because you may not like the pick-up…although very accurate, there’s a different meaning to that expression! Get to know someone both physically and emotionally before you make a lasting commitment with regards to marriage or a relationship. Go out a few times with a group of friends and just the two of you; if there’s chemistry, take it    from there, just be careful not to jump into something too fast that may not be harnessed correctly.

6.      What goes around comes around: (Lauren, sophomore)
Karma is a %$&^#. And it’s true. Don’t put out what you wouldn’t like to get right back at you. Simple as that!

7.      Rub your clothes with denim to get rid of deodorant marks: (Jess Davis, sophomore)
We’ve all fallen victim to those annoying white streaks that seem to pop up in the most inconvenient places, even if you put on the deodorant AFTER the shirt. Take a pair of jeans and rub them directly on the area, if that doesn’t help…wear a new shirt!

8.      Treat others they way you’d want to be treated: (Matt Sulkin, junior)
Ah, the Golden Rule. What every elementary school teacher had plastered to his or her walls. It’s still true, even 10 years later. Bite your tongue if you have to. If you’re still struggling, see rule number 6.

9.      Brush your eyelashes with a clean toothbrush to de-clump your mascara: (Morgan Leeds, freshman)
Even if you buy the most expensive mascara out there, you’re still going to have days where your eyelashes clump together, making a very nasty mess. Take an unused toothbrush and gently brush through your eyelashes to even them out a bit. Repeat as needed!

10.     Never take your pants off in public: (Ellis R, junior)  
Saved the best for last! While in the presence of others, I would highly recommend you remain clothed. Believe it or not, some people don’t take kindly to their other’s private parts! 

So, the next time you’re struggling with a tough decision or need some nurturing advice, think about all the things YOUR mother has taught you over the years and take advantage of it, because you’re going to need all the help you can get when it comes time for kids of your own!

Nina DeSarro is a senior at the University of Central Florida, pursuing a degree in Communication with a minor in Magazine Journalism and Sociology. She is the Assistant Editorial Director for UCF's HC chapter, and has been an avid Feature writer since her freshman year. Within her varied group of friends, she’s known as their “relationship guru,” specializing in the male/female dynamics. She is also an active member and former finance chair for her sorority, Alpha Epsilon Phi. In addition to being an avid writer, she can usually be found “plugged-in” with Dave Matthews Band streaming. Her ideal world is filled with Cosmo magazines, Vanilla Lattes, Sex and the City, Louboutin’s, and anything glittery. Her goals include, living and working somewhere in the North East for a television or magazine agency.