Style > Beauty

A Tattoo Guide to the Person Who Never Thought They’d Get One

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCF chapter.

I’ve never been a “tattoo person.” I’ve never even been the person to write reminders on my hand, even as a kid. While I did admire tattoos on other people, I always felt like that kind of art was never for me. I was too indecisive, too picky, and too insecure to ever bring attention of that magnitude to myself. By the time I entered college, though, the idea began to cross my mind, as I learned more about them and how tattoos can be an incredible bond between two people, like me and my mom.

So if you’re like me and have entered a new stage in your life, I’ve compiled a list of things to know and how to narrow down your future ink ideas.

1. Tattoos don’t need to have profound meaning

A big reason a lot of people don’t get tattoos is that they can’t settle on one that has incredible meaning. Tattoos don’t need layers of personal backstory or sentiment. They can be anything from a reference to something you enjoy or even something that just looks awesome. My tattoo is the stars from the corner of every page in Harry Potter. I’ll never regret it because I love that series, hence it making a good tattoo. Don’t overthink it, if you love the content, then go for it!

Never forget Christine Sydelko’s magnificent Croc tattoo

2. Consider the placement

While considering what to get is important, many forget that where your tattoo will be is just as vital. If your job or future job goals might have more conservative approaches to your awesome ink, maybe find a cute place to display your tattoo when you want, like the back of your neck or in a place your clothes can hide it while at work. Or if you have a job that lets you rock your tattoo, find the perfect location to make sure everyone can admire it, like your wrist or forearm!

Finger tattoos are visible, discreet, and adorable

3. Know the style of your artist

While researching tattoos, I found out how much of a range tattoos have. Some tattoo artists specialize in color, and some in black and gray. Some are “new school” and some are “traditional.” Once you settle on an idea, find some artists in your area whose work you admire and consult with them, especially if you have a large project in mind. Just a little research can help ensure that you get some great results. However, there is a benefit to small and simple tattoos like mine, as I was able to swing by a local shop and get it done in five minutes!

American traditional tattoos are both timeless and creative

4. Don’t let pain get in your way

A great way to test your tattoo pain tolerance is to start with a small tattoo in a less sensitive area. I unfortunately only followed half of my advice, as apparently the bone on your ankle is an area that doesn’t feel particularly great but was tolerable. The pain even in that area was manageable so don’t let your fears of a few minutes of pain get in the way of your dream tattoo that will last a lifetime!

Proof I could handle the pain, without crying or kicking the artist at least, and actually got that tattoo

5. Matching tattoos really do create a special bond

My mom and I share a deep love of Harry Potter, and getting coordinating tattoos are a way to not only declare our love for it but to also create a bond between us. Our tattoos not only mark a special time in our lives and a statement about our favorite story but also is a physical reminder about the link between us. I truly believe that matching or coordinating tattoos are some of the most powerful ways people can show how much the other means to them. If you choose to get one with a friend, even if you two ever begin to drift apart, you’ll always have that reminder that you and an amazing friend have a link for life that will always pull you two back to each other, and I think that is the coolest thing best friends can do—or in my case, anyone can do.

My Harry Potter stars and my mom’s “Always” quote with the stars, a permanent link between us

Images: 1, 2, 3