Tales of the Token Ginger

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCF chapter.

Imagine. You’re sitting in class, bored as usual. You let your eyes wander and the first thing that attracts your attention is an awkward, pale-skinned, freckle-ridden human being with the brightest hair you have ever laid your eyes on. You think to yourself, who could this unusual creature be? Your first assumption is correct, the token ginger child. What exactly is a ginger? Urban Dictionary defines a ginger as an unfortunate “person with pale skin, an abundance of freckles, bright red hair, and no soul.” I beg to differ on the no soul part, because I am a ginger! As being one my entire life, I can attest for the others and say we do, indeed, have souls. Gingers are normal human beings, but with a little more spice in their life than the average person. Instead of criticizing my rare breed, you should be envious, because Vogue recently claimed red hair as the new blonde!

Showing my hotheaded temper at a young age!

Less than four percent of the world has red hair, and I’m pretty sure the majority of that 4% are enrolled at the University of Central Florida. Walking around campus with my friends, I am known for asking, “Does my hair look like that??” South Park and the boy from the YouTube sensation “Gingers Do Have Souls” have thrown redheads into a negative light. Being a ginger isn’t a bad thing! There are many perks that come along with fiery hair. For one, people remember who you are. It is as if your flaming hair burned an impression on their brain! Another is that you have an excuse for losing your temper or being “hotheaded.” Not too long ago, gingers were discriminated against for being so different looking, but nowadays redheads are seen in a more favorable light. We are viewed as more alluring, seductive, and mysterious than ever before.

Growing up as a ginger has been quite the experience. From The Little Mermaid to Mean Girls, we can see that there is a token ginger in every group. Not only was I always the token ginger in my group of friends, but I was also the token ginger in my family. Being one of six children, I was the lucky one to inherit the mutated gene. My siblings still enjoy teasing me ruthlessly, but I always tell myself that one of them is going to have a redheaded child and that always makes me chuckle. My siblings’ favorite thing is to remind me of how unfortunate looking I was during my awkward stage. Awkward stages are difficult on everyone, but an awkward stage for a ginger is like a train wreck. My bright red hair was frizzy and untamable. My pale skin looked like it had never seen daylight (thank goodness for self-tanner!). My white eyelashes were impossible to see and it took years before mascara came to intervene this freak show. When I finally got my act/look together, I couldn’t seem to escape the wrath of my inner awkward gingerness. My dad enjoys showcasing off my “good looks” by showing everyone my infamous seventh grade picture. Over the years, I have learned to embrace my uniqueness, and it has made me the one-of-a-kind woman I am today. To me, red hair is not just a physical characteristic – it’s a defining trait.

My infamous 7th grade yearbook picture. So fierce!

I feel that every woman at some point in her life needs to experience life as a redhead. If you feel that you cannot pull off red hair, then you should at least adopt the redheaded mentality of a fiery spirit with a uniqueness that is unmatched. In a world ruled by tan skin, and blonde or brunette hair, I embrace my difference and I would not have it any other way. Lucille Ball said it best, “Once in his life, every man is entitled to fall madly in love with a gorgeous redhead.”