Taking the Next Step: Tips to Prepare for the Future

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCF chapter.

Growing up…something we all do, but never want to have happen. Why can’t we be like Peter Pan and live in Neverland for the rest of our lives? With each passing school year, us collegiettes begin to realize our glory years are soon coming to an end. It’s scary to think about what the future holds, but it’s necessary for us to take the next step and grow up in order for our future to hold great success.

Now that the semester is almost up, we can look back on all our successes and all our failures; what we accomplished and what we wish we‘d done. As we get further and further into our college career we come to the realization that it is essential that we begin preparing ourselves now for what is to come after graduation. The following are some tips that need to be done to help prepare for what’s ahead.

Build Your Resume

Building your resume is a must if you want to find your dream job–or at least a job after graduation. Your GPA only takes up one line on your resume, so while it is very important you do well in school, it is equally as important you are doing other things to boost your resume.

It’s as simple as finding clubs to join or internships that are in your area of interest. If you put in the time and effort, finding an internship is actually very easy. The interviewing process may be a little intimidating but it’s great practice for the real world.

Start Saving Now

Typically, after college graduation Mom and Dad stop transferring a “monthly fund” into your bank account for rent, food and other activities. Since all that money is soon to be coming out of your pocket, it’s a good idea to begin putting money aside now for your first few months on your own. Your life won’t be nearly as extravagant as it once was, but at least you won’t feel extremely tight on money.

Find a “Support” Group       

Being scared is normal; it happens to everyone. When there are people around you who know what you’re going through, they can be there for you every step of the way. Making sure to surround yourself with a support group full of friends and family will help as you take steps to further your career path. If you’re ever unsure about where you want your future to lead, this support group will be there to reassure you, encourage you, and ultimately support you… hence the name.