Cloud Bag Heavyweight Tomato
Cloud Bag Heavyweight Tomato
Baggu
Style > Fashion

Sustainability And Consumerism: Do You Really Need That Bag?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCF chapter.

More and more brands have taken pride in sustainability during the design and production process, which consumers find very attractive. However, trending brands that preach sustainability can be just as damaging as brands that don’t. Brands like Baggu and Stanley have cultivated a large following, which has led to large overconsumption problems after every new collection drop. 

Baggu is a brand that glorifies itself on sustainability in their products. Within the last few months, the brand has received a large amount of traction. Fans of the brand excitedly wait for each drop, but some take it too far. For example, in August 2023, the brand collaborated with designer Sandy Liang, creating a collection featuring a bow motif. Immediately after the drop was announced, the collection was sold out. Soon after, the collection was, and still is, being resold at over double the price on websites like Depop and eBay.

Baggu isn’t the only trending brand with a loyal following. Stanley, the reusable cup brand that is seemingly everyone’s favorite water bottle, has also fallen victim to this phenomenon. Earlier this year, Stanley’s Valentine’s Day collection went onto shelves and sold out across the country. Since they were difficult to find, hopeful customers went on reselling websites where the bottle was being sold for over $100.

Collectible culture is nothing new. Matchboxes and baseball cards are items that are frequently collected, but now consumers are also collecting items from brands that call themselves sustainable, which is unproductive and harmful. By hoarding products that are meant for long-lasting use, consumers are contradicting the goals of the companies themselves. Brands like Stanley and Baggu have products that replace single-use items, such as plastic bags and water bottles, but their consumers still participate in every new drop and design collaboration. TikTok creators like @ntomm create entire platforms dedicated to the brand, creating content about any new drops that the brand features.

Although it is not damaging to enjoy a certain brand, it is important to consume consciously. Items that are trending have recently fallen victim to consumer culture, and it is being normalized to have a myriad of colors and sizes at your disposal. Unfortunately, these trends come and go quickly, so as soon as you grow out of your new Baggu, landfills are formed. Drop culture, where brands advertise during the time leading up to their “drop dates,” can also be attributed to the collector’s mindset. Fans of the product become excited, joining pre-order queues and email subscriptions that notify them of the drop. Releasing limited-edition items for a small period of time cultivates excitement from consumers and encourages others to add to their collections.

Either way, it is up to the consumer whether they collect. Shopping consciously not only helps you live more sustainably, but it also helps abide by the missions that these brands strive for. Before pre-ordering the new Baggu bag pattern or Stanley color, try looking at the one you have and ask yourself, is it really worth it?

Sarah Perez is a second year staff writer for Her Campus UCF. Studying English with a certificate in Editing and Publishing, she loves to read almost any genre. When she isn't reading, you can find her crocheting or drawing.